Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-16-2007, 10:18 PM

Default Rank the business degrees

Let's talk about current job market, chance for advancement, etc.

I'm Currently a Junior in school, just transfered from The Ohio State University (Accounting major) to University of Cincinnati. I'm having second doubts about Accounting. Pretty much all the majors at Cincinnati are a fkin joke, and prolly carry no credibility, so it's looking like law school now no matter what. I have 4 majors in mind

Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Economics

Acct, Fin, and Market. are all through the business school, econ is not. As of right now, marketing seems the most interesting to me, and that it would present the most "fun" jobs. It seems accounting and finance would carry a little more credibility but so many people do it. So I was thinking about just doing Econ and saying fk the business school. However, I just completed a bunch of credits for the business school so it might be a dumb idea, especially when I can just minor in econ and pretty much take the same classes.

Accounting is what both my parents do. They hate it, they seem miserable, but they make a shitton of money. I do well in accounting but it seems very uninteresting to me. The whole idea of investments seems very interesting to me, so I'm starting to think a Finance w/ Econ minor will work out best.

Anybody feel like shedding some light here?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Rank the business degrees

Econ is a social science and not really business, but Econ is very analytical and you'll find interest in it if you want to. I am an Econ major and love it. What will I do with it? Well, right now, nothing. I'm really not sure what I want to do, but that is my personal situation and not common of others.

I think Accounting would be extremely boring.

I'd rank them Econ, Finance, Marketing, Accounting.

I'm not much into Marketing, but I'm sure I could like it more than Accounting.

I know alot of people who are Finance w/ Econ minor. My friend who works at the CME has Finance/Econ(minor). He does well, but he is like a magnet for money, I have no idea how he does it.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:09 AM

Basically, I love that econ is analytical, but don't know if majoring in it is the smartest idea because of the opportunities once you graduate. My new school is messed up because they want you to have a major, and then an integral within the business school (I believe.... it can be Accounting, Entrepreneurship, Real Estate, Comp Sci) and then on top of that an "Area of Study" or language, which I plan on knocking out by studying abroad next fall.

I need to take some more finance classes. Right now I'm in this marketing class, and love it, but I think it's more the teacher/material. I'm starting to feel the class is too much memorization and any run of the mill college st00dent could do it.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:14 AM

First of all, you're lucky because the next person I hear say THE Ohio State University is getting punched in the face.

But on to your question:

I feel that marketing is really cool and has a lot of cross-functional applications i.e. it doesn't necessarily tie you down to "i have to do xxx when I graduate" which is good especially since you're not really sure. I did general business undergrad and am now doing my MBA in finance because it's what I like and I know I want to be in that field. I would lean towards a broader subject like Econ or Marketing rather than Acc/Fin if I were you, especially for undergrad, you will get some exposure to all the subjects while doing the degree and when you come upon something that gets you really excited, there's always grad school [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2007, 12:25 AM

I think Finance is highly competitive?

Econ seems to be the hottest major nowadays. When I was in high school, I don't think I ever heard the word Economics. I didn't even know what it was until my junior year of college when I changed my major to Finance and had to take Econ has a requirement. Econ allows you to basically do anything. My problem is how to apply it in an entry level job because I was having trouble finding entry level, but I'm sure if you are motivated enough, you will be just fine.

I've personally gotten burned out from structured education and just need some time off. I have a few long-term plans that I may reach for, but I'm not sure yet.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:07 AM

I graduated 5 years ago in Econ. It just came easy to me. Right now I regret it because like you said it can be tough to apply to a good entry-level job. Of course I was lazy & gave no thought to career/internships at the time...if you're ambitious like I'm sure most who post in this forum are I doubt it really matters.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I graduated 5 years ago in Econ. It just came easy to me. Right now I regret it because like you said it can be tough to apply to a good entry-level job. Of course I was lazy & gave no thought to career/internships at the time...if you're ambitious like I'm sure most who post in this forum are I doubt it really matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never did an internship because I was the one who knew what I wanted to do with my life and I didn't need to do an internship. I'm about a step short of regretting it, but I don't regret it, if that makes sense because I'm still doing what I want to do, but now I'm having trouble with the experience that can be applied to jobs when I apply for them.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:37 AM

Finance, Econonomics (if used with finance, if not then accounting), Accounting, Marketing.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:21 AM

It really won't matter if you go to law school. If you might not go to law school, you should just pick based on what kind of job you'd want. As noted econ is good training to think analytically but not directly applicable to a particular job the way business degrees are.

If you are really unsure and don't hate finance/econ, then the finance w/ an econ minor gives you a lot of options.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 PM

I don't think that doing econ will preclude you from any finance jobs. At least it is that way for me - we don't even have a finance major.