Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Ask me about financial success to spending 2 years state prison

freak,

Not too much violence in my jail, not that much in most of the max's either(from what i was told). Most of violence in the prisons are where there are a lot of 18-23 yr olds. There were 3 prisons that had a lot of inmates in that age group, they were called "gladiator schools".

I dont think I was liked as much as accepted. After a few months I am sure most knew my background, that I got visits every weekend, on the phone often, had food sent in, basically every one knew that I came from more money than most others in there. I acted extremely humble, was able to adjust well, and never complained. I think this went a long way to being accepted. That said I am sure there were more than a few who wouldnt mind seeing me get effed up.

The cliques, were more just groups of anywhere from 3-10 people who would hang together. A lot of times people would interact with different groups. Like I worked out with a group, cooked and atre with another, and played cards with others.

Spota,

My lease was already up on my apt. I was month to month for 6 months leading up to going in. Coincidentally my final month on my car lease was the month I went in.

My brother took care of all my finances.

I think I spent the day trying to pack up my apt. That night was a quiet dinner, then trying to finish packing (my parents ended up finishing it)no that I had a lot of stuff, but it I just couldnt get myself organized.

The bathrooms were always spotless. Hygiene is taken very seriously in prison. Some things were a little over the top. Like there were some dudes who would floss, walk into the TV room with an 18 in piece of floss stuck b/w their front teeth and just leave it there for awhile. Or the guys who brushed their teeth, gums, tongue, lips, cheek, liver,,,I mean they would brush so deep in their throats that they would be gagging. Its not the most pleasant sound when you are just waking up.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:15 PM

All,

I am glad you found this entertaining/interesting. I must say it has been surprisingly therapeutic.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:46 PM

When you get found guilty for crimes like this, do they just seize all of your financial assets and take all of your money that you earned? How does that work?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:55 PM

I guess case by case. Fortunately I was not financially penalized.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
freak,
I dont think I was liked as much as accepted. After a few months I am sure most knew my background, that I got visits every weekend, on the phone often, had food sent in, basically every one knew that I came from more money than most others in there. I acted extremely humble, was able to adjust well, and never complained. I think this went a long way to being accepted. That said I am sure there were more than a few who wouldnt mind seeing me get effed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you feel that you changed your behavior much in prison, or did you act roughly the same before you went in?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:28 AM

As other have said, great thread.

Curious how it goes with new women you're dating when you tell them about your past?

Also, as far as your record affecting future jobs, isn't there some way to pay someone enough money to go into federal computer system and expunge your record?

Edit to add: since you're known in NYC area, you might have to move to San Fran or whatever, so I guess this would be a headge between taking entirely new identity and your situation now.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What were the charges specifically? Securities fraud?

I think those of you arguing the likelihood of his guilt are also missing the legal fuzziness of a lot of white collar crime, as a lot of it originates from some scheme that is borderline legal and borderline ethical to begin with or operates on some kind of loophole.

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP said he wasn't "lily-white," he was aggressive. As for the notion that "white-collar crime" isn't as bad as other crimes, feel free to believe it. I'll feel free to think you're an idiot. Legality and ethics are almost mutually exclusive, especially in this day and age and in this country.

Do you all cheat at the poker table? Do you believe that if you aren't pushing the boundaries wrt cheating, you're not doing it right? I doubt it. I have no idea what aggressive really means, whether that's profiting from inside information (i.e., a hookup based on your upbringing/socioeconomic status/insider-ness, or that of your co-workers) or just taking risks wrt gray areas in the law. However, I'm pretty [censored] sure that an aspect of the risk you're taking is what happened to the OP.

Do I think he deserved it? I don't know enough about high finance to say, but it sounds like he got screwed at least a little. Have others gotten away with a lot worse in this arena? Undoubtedly. Is "everybody does it" a defense? Hell no. I'm astonished by the fact that an argument that never worked on anyone's parents when they were children is the rationalization for all sorts of behavior as adults. People do what they feel they have to do to survive/thrive, and I don't (necessarily) blame them for that. But to believe, as many seem to, that there shouldn't be/aren't consequences for those choices? I thought the average 2p2er was smarter than that. Unless, of course, the "trust-fund" comment posted earlier is closer to the truth than I realize. Or perhaps what I've often wondered about the "cheat-code"/"god-mode" generation is true -- that you can rationalize anything. You know, like chicks do.

I'm glad OP made it through safely, I really am. As for the rest of you trollers who oppose us "anti-" trollers, I humbly submit that this is probably not the only area of the law in which the legal system and the prison system are all [censored] up, and in fact one might be able to find much more egregious examples, with much further-reaching consequences. And that's our point. If you're basing your argument on your personal narrow perspective (omg that's so terrible, it could happen to one of my friends/daddy/me?!?), at least admit it.

[/ QUOTE ]

not only is this diatribe so incredibly all-over-place that it is devoid of any meaningful argument, but you've also tragically misunderstood a point which was not especially difficult to grasp, that had a tone quite dissimilar to the strawman you created.

I'll save you the embarrassment of breaking down the many missteps in logical reasoning you've allowed to render into a really dumb couple of paragraphs.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Best thread in a long time, thanks xx44.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-27-2007, 06:17 AM

Great thread man.

My old workout partner did sometime in jackson state prison in michigan and whenever he was spotting me he would always say 'come on dog, get dat money, i know you got another in etc..' funny how you mention 'money' in your story also. this obv is a prison term. he also would tell me stories about how they would make pizza out of mixing ramen noodles, dorritos, and cheeze wiz. he told me that ramen noodles were very popular in prison. did you do ramen too? is their any prison food that you still eat because you grew fond of it?

did you get any tatoos while in prison?

who cuts your hair? what kind of hair cut?

i remember hearing tupac rap about rykers island in one of his rap songs, was there any celebrities during your stay?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:38 AM

Rikers Island. Kool G Rap. Yo man [censored] Tupac.