Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-25-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you're there 100% of the 2.5 years. Drinking and driving is the douchiest thing since ... ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the fact is, you didn't learn the first OR the second time. Which tells me you're never going to learn, so, knowing that, I say Good riddance.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:49 PM

I'd like to, but I'm not going to comment on all the self-righteous a-holes in this thread. I feel for you, OP. 2.5 years is a long time, and I hope you can find decent employment and support when you get out. People don't realize how difficult it is to get decent employment after serving time and without a license. It makes it very hard.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to, but I'm not going to comment on all the self-righteous a-holes in this thread. I feel for you, OP. 2.5 years is a long time, and I hope you can find decent employment and support when you get out. People don't realize how difficult it is to get decent employment after serving time and without a license. It makes it very hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awwwwww poor guy!
Old 11-25-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, just maybe, he should have taken these things into consideration before he drove while intoxicated not once, not twice, but THREE times. And those are just the times he got caught. I'm sure there were plenty of other times as well. This is a pattern of behavior that he simply is not willing to change and it also happens to put other people in danger. But yeah, we're the bad guys here

Not to mention this kid isn't even legal to drink. I wonder how bad this cat's gonna be when he's of legal age?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Not to mention this kid isn't even legal to drink. I wonder how bad this cat's gonna be when he's of legal age?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because we are all pillars of responsibility at 20 and only get dumber from there.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because we are all pillars of responsibility at 20 and only get dumber from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that justifies driving afterward?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tuq-
.08 is the point where skills are proven to deteriorate. study after study has shown this

[/ QUOTE ]

Ikestoys, what on earth could this mean? It's not binary like, .07 you're safe, .08 you're dangerous. As BAC goes up, driving impairment increases, across the scale.

The legal limit is a necessity for enforcement, but the number is an artificial creation, and will always be something of an arbitrary choice. The choice is based on balancing two interests, (1) allowing people to drive after normal drinking activities where they create little or no danger for the public, and (2) protecting the public from drivers who are at heightened risk for causing accidents. Picking the number involves deciding the correct balance of those interests; no number can be determined by science (or any other means) to be "the" correct BAC limit.

I say this independently of whether .08 is a good policy choice (I am undecided about whether lowering the limit from .1 was a good idea).
Old 11-25-2007, 03:30 PM

I can still beat Raining Blood on expert after 5 beers, so I should be straight to drive
Old 11-25-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awwwwww poor guy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Miserable, heartless p.o.v.. You must be a miserable person. The kid has a problem. The punishment and after effects are too harsh. Locking him up for 2.5 years(and probably giving him 0 rehabilitation) will, coupled with the negative consequences when he gets out will do society more harm than good. He'll probably have to drive illegally just to get to work. I had 1 dui, lost license for a year. Lost my job. Fortunately for me I can play poker. I know others who drive illegally cause they can't pay the ridiculous insurance after a dui.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But that justifies driving afterward?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it doesn't. I was just pointing out that your last comment was dumb.

You guys seem to think that punishment above and beyond a year in prison is called for in such circumstances; how else is there to interpret somebody saying "He should have thought about the employment consequences BEFORE he went drunk driving?" Having reasonably strong deterrence is obviously important in coming up with a way to reduce DUI, but I think you could probably make an analogy to the death penalty here - is such strong punishment actually leading to a marked increase in deterrence? I think that's unclear. And if the only point of it is retributive justice, then I guess I'm not a fan.