Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 10:48 PM

Default Re: 30/60 turn spot

[ QUOTE ]
Put me in the Pokerbob camp if we are just taking a pole now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably doesn't mean much to those who are arguing this but I'm with you guys.

Rob
Old 11-23-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Put me in the Pokerbob camp if we are just taking a pole now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably doesn't mean much to those who are arguing this but I'm with you guys.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob--

No, thanks for chiming in.

--Nate
Old 11-24-2007, 03:55 AM

This thread is funny -- tonight during my session I 3-bet a PFR with AsTs and the flop was Qxx with one spade. He check-called. The turn was another spade, he checked, I decided to try something different and check behind thanks to this thread. River was an A. He checked, I value bet, he called with AKo. (He would have folded to a turn bet FWIW).

BTW I'm not being results-oriented here, I'm just telling a story to highlight that 2+2 threads directly impact my play of a hand these days. For better and worse.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is funny -- tonight during my session I 3-bet a PFR with AsTs and the flop was Qxx with one spade. He check-called. The turn was another spade, he checked, I decided to try something different and check behind thanks to this thread. River was an A. He checked, I value bet, he called with AKo. (He would have folded to a turn bet FWIW).

BTW I'm not being results-oriented here, I'm just telling a story to highlight that 2+2 threads directly impact my play of a hand these days. For better and worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

i played this one earlier tonight.....

Seat 1: mj6times (875.67 in chips)
Seat 2: Pope1 (773.05 in chips)
Seat 7: PokerBob (1651.70 in chips)
Seat 8: Cogitus (1408.50 in chips)
Seat 10: Ethan2691 (660.00 in chips)
Ethan2691: posts small blind $10
mj6times: posts big blind $20
Dealt to PokerBob[ Ad 6d ]
Pope1: folds
PokerBob: raises to $40
Cogitus: folds
Ethan2691: folds
mj6times: calls
*** FLOP *** [ 5c 5d 9d ]
mj6times: checks
PokerBob: bets $20
mj6times: calls
*** TURN *** [ 8c ]
mj6times: checks
PokerBob: checks
*** RIVER *** [ 3s ]
mj6times: bets $40
PokerBob: calls
*** SHOW DOWN ***
mj6times: shows [ Kd Jh ] (Pair of Fives )
PokerBob: shows [ Ad 6d ] (Pair of Fives )
PokerBob wins $208 with Pair of Fives with Ace kicker
Old 11-24-2007, 10:53 AM

the private joker hand and the one pbob just posted a hh of are completely different than the hand in the op.

here's a hand i played against roc. 5 handed i open As8s utg he calls in bb and c/c 7s9sJd flop and K turn checks through. he bet/3 the 6s river and folds to 4bet which means he had like a T or 8 in his hand and nothing else. the difference between this hand and the one in the op is that im instantly calling a river bet from him ui, i have 0% chance of folding out a better hand and i can be semibluffed and foced to fold river UI very easily.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:10 PM

Joker--

I'm with HOWMANY. That hand is totally unlike the one in the OP. I think checking behind on that turn is way worse than checking behind on the 965/7 turn.

PokerBob--

Is that a cash game? If so... online 20/40 is completely and totally different from the live game. I like that check way better than in the hand in the OP. You get bluffed into on the river so much more than you do live, and you have almost no chance of folding out a better hand on the turn.

Everyone else--

Let's post hands that sort of resemble the one in the OP, at least superficially. (I.e., hands like Joker's and PokerBob's are fine.) This could turn into a good thread about the differences you find in this basic type of spot.

--Nate
Old 11-24-2007, 04:34 PM

Whether to check behind or bet the turn in these spots has alot to do with the texture of the board, your opponents tendencies, how he views you, how he thinks you view him, your hand's showdown value, how many outs you have if behind, among other factors. The amount and variety of responses this thread generated illustrates this.

In OP's specific hand, I'd likely check behind the turn barring other overiding info. The key reason being the board texture.(Schneids' post nailed it) Obviously, if I had tell or reason to believe bb was folding, I'd bet. But given the flop, and that turn card, I'd have every reason to believe I'm getting called down here. Take the free card.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whether to check behind or bet the turn in these spots has alot to do with the texture of the board, your opponents tendencies, how he views you, how he thinks you view him, your hand's showdown value, how many outs you have if behind, among other factors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but isn't this almost a verbatim quote from HP4AP?

--Nate
Old 11-24-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whether to check behind or bet the turn in these spots has alot to do with the texture of the board, your opponents tendencies, how he views you, how he thinks you view him, your hand's showdown value, how many outs you have if behind, among other factors.

[/ QUOTE ]

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I'm at work now, cant check it, but I think in these spots you have to weigh many factors and go with what stands out for the particular situation. I usually bet but I think here with that board, I check behind. Its just too likely villain has at least a pair. (Unless he has shown he likes to play tricky on the turn)
Old 11-24-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I'm at work now, cant check it, but I think in these spots you have to weigh many factors and go with what stands out for the particular situation. I usually bet but I think here with that board, I check behind. Its just too likely villain has at least a pair. (Unless he has shown he likes to play tricky on the turn)

[/ QUOTE ]

WMB--

Oh, I hear what you're saying, though I still like a bet here. I just always get a kick out of it when I recognize a bit of prose on these forums that's been lifted right out of a 2+2 publication. This happens frequently, both because I've studied 2+2 literature harder than most and because people are constantly, either intentionally or unintentionally, quoting it (but not within quotation marks).

--Nate