Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 11-19-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: 1/2NL at Foxwoods - Correct play on Flop?

wow folding this flop is so weak!!! id 3 bet this flop to about $180 and fold to a shove. If your not going to play with this flop why play the hand in the first place. He prolly reraises pf with jj+ can call with k9 sooted a9 suited etc. Id feel pretty good about me being ahead. WOW let me in this game if your folding 1010 to a pretty much min raise on flop. what do u guys saying fold put the villian on jesus just saying fold isnt very good feedback
Old 11-19-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you suspect he's stealing light, then you can reraise on the flop and fold if he pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he suspects he's stealing, why should he raise instead of call? Do you think better hands will fold or worse hands will call?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...He prolly reraises pf with jj+ can call with k9 sooted a9 suited etc. Id feel pretty good about me being ahead. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP's read was as follows.

[ QUOTE ]
but there was one really tricky player at my table that i was trying to stay away from if possible. He had a stack of about 800 (at a 300max table), and only showed down good hands, was playing very TAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is very little chance that CO has K9s or Ace-rag suited. He has a set, 2-pair, or a big draw like an OESFD. So, you probably have no fold equity on this flop vs CO. If you raise planning to fold to a push, then you are going to be folding to a push. If you are reasonably certain based on your read that you'll be folding to a push, why raise? Just let it go.

This is not a random player. This is a "really tricky player" who "showed down good hands" and "was playing very TAG" who has position on us and has our stack covered. Maybe later, if your read changes, you will want to play TT differently. And vs many other kinds of players reraising is probably best.

But I think folding this one time vs this particular player is a good idea.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you suspect he's stealing light, then you can reraise on the flop and fold if he pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he suspects he's stealing, why should he raise instead of call? Do you think better hands will fold or worse hands will call?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought was that if he had something really weak, like 88, with which he was just testing the continuation bet, that a raise to $150 would be enough to scare him off. But the more I think about it, the less likely I think that kind of move is, and the worse I like the idea of raising if I do think he might be stealing. Call the raise and bet/fold the turn might be better than raise/fold. I'm not sure. But it's academic if we think this particular villain is ahead of 1-pair on the flop and we should fold to the raise.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow folding this flop is so weak!!! id 3 bet this flop to about $180 and fold to a shove. If your not going to play with this flop why play the hand in the first place. He prolly reraises pf with jj+ can call with k9 sooted a9 suited etc. Id feel pretty good about me being ahead. WOW let me in this game if your folding 1010 to a pretty much min raise on flop. what do u guys saying fold put the villian on jesus just saying fold isnt very good feedback

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't raise to 180 and fold to a shove here. That's bad bad bad. You would have committed at that point
Old 11-20-2007, 12:55 PM

OP, what is the obvious right move?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:04 PM

so this generated more discussion than i thought it would. I feel like I should have clearly folded because I had told myself not to get involved with this guy in a big pot, especially with a speculative holding. I won't embarrass myself by saying how I played it but he showed a set of 7s.