Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 05:14 AM

Default Re: which poker pro is the most educated ?

[ QUOTE ]
Dutch Boyd, JD as a teenager.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of that crazy bastard, does anyone else find it odd that he "boasts" an IQ of 150? I have a 154 IQ and would bet that that is below the mean IQ of people who have posted in this thread...
Old 08-28-2007, 06:40 AM

that Brandon Adams kid is pretty smart and I remember when he was on during the wsop they said he has like degrees from 3-4 different schools.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
mike matusow for sure

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-28-2007, 07:11 AM

I've heard it's Andy Beal
Old 08-28-2007, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually a good one. Didn't he start college at 12 or something like that?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Applied math is simple, compared to theoretical math. Very few people can succeed at it because it involves the creation of mathematics. The idea of "sets", for example, has been around less than 110 years. Applied mathematicians merely make deductions from what theoretical mathematicians have created. Ask Chris Ferguson, David Sklansky or Barry Greenstein if you don't believe me. Or read, 'A Mathematicians Apology' by G. H. Hardy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this.

It is true that there are extraordinarily few people who can become theoretical mathematicians, really understand a field, and make significant contributions to it. But it is not true that that necessarily makes applied mathematics less difficult.

One way to look at it is in terms of risk/reward. In theoretical math, the risk is to your time and somewhat to your relative reputation. It is very time-consuming to think up anything you can publish. If you do publish something with grandiose claims and it is wrong, then you suffer, but more likely your mistakes are caught by others way before you publish.

In applied mathematics the risk/reward is money and job security. Applied mathematicians are expected to devise solutions to real-world problems in a timely manner, problems that don't necessarily correspond to any blueprint problems available in the literature.

At the highest levels, for example academic fluid mechanicians consulting to aerospace, or on-the-trading-floor quants solving pricing problems on exotics in non-liquid markets (such as MBS) on-the-fly so that the traders can act while the market is hot, applied mathematics is extraordinarily difficult, and extremely well paid (up to $500/hr).
Old 08-28-2007, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of that crazy bastard, does anyone else find it odd that he "boasts" an IQ of 150? I have a 154 IQ and would bet that that is below the mean IQ of people who have posted in this thread...

[/ QUOTE ]

You are way off. The mean IQ in this thread is nowhere near 154+, and that leads me to believe your IQ is probably more like 115-125.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are way off. The mean IQ in this thread is nowhere near 154+, and that leads me to believe your IQ is probably more like 115-125.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 08-28-2007, 09:32 AM

I've thought about this one long and hard... and i've come to my conclusion.

the most educated poker pro is Brad Booth. The most educated at buying into that High Stakes Poker TV show with a Cool Million Educated
Old 08-28-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lederrer was a professor at yale so obviously he is most educated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lederer dropped out of Columbia as an undergraduate. His father taught English at St. Pauls in NH, a top 5 prep school.