Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 03:58 AM

Default Re: \"The Prestige\" wtf? (spoilers)

Weird. I rewatched this movie the other night. I had a long debate with a friend about what actually happened, so I watched it again.

Upon second viewing I'm even more convinced the film is brilliant. The whole thing is a trick on the audience and I feel like the vast majority of people who watch it buy into it.

lolotrickedu
Old 10-14-2007, 04:07 AM

loved this movie. one thing. Does anyone else think that maybe the first time Jackman uses the cloning machine, the original guy is the one who gets killed? My reasoning being that he finds it very important to be present in front of the audience at the prestige part of the trick. When he performs it, the part of the machine with sparks and all is on stage, while the closet thing is up in the balcony. He would want to be the one on the balcony, so why would he choose to be the one to fall through the trap door?

Also, the first time he is cloned, it felt to me like the one with the gun was more confused about what just happened or something.

i could be wrong, but interesting point either way. If it is not this way, and the original remains in the sparky part of the machine, its still a relevant point of interest because it means that the original guy willingly sacrificed his own life for the trick. like the first time he would have had to set it up knowing that he was going to die and that his clone would complete the trick.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:19 AM

just read that wikipedia entry posted a few above me, very interesting for anyone that saw the movie, and I think it also supports my theory.

I'd also like to see someone explain in detail "Additionally, the complex journal-within-a-journal structure of the novel was consciously translated to the screen as a non-linear, flashback narrative set as three acts to mirror the three acts of a magic trick" I mean not explain, I get it, but it is difficult to retrace the steps of the movie in my mind to make this work. Where do the three acts begin and end? What makes them mirror a magic trick. Next time I watch it I'll keep it in mind and probably figure out but could anyone explain it? I didn't pick this up either time I watched the movie.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes them mirror a magic trick.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you watching closely?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:34 AM

the last 15 minutes in the end where Bale is about to get hanged and where everything will be revealed is the most tense moment in movie history imo. great great climatic build-up.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The ending just seemed like a really, really big cop out. The whole movie was based in reality, and showing the rather mundane truths behind each "amazing" trick, and then at the end its just like, "oh holy [censored] electricity was just invented and now hey Tesla make me a cloning machine, oh sweet yeah just like that ok I'll clone myself a bunch of times cya movie over."

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet but that is EXACTLY how I felt.

Even so I thought it was decent movie, just kind of laughable how a movie that is 100% realistic ends with a twist that's only explanation is, "its magic!"
Old 10-14-2007, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The ending just seemed like a really, really big cop out. The whole movie was based in reality, and showing the rather mundane truths behind each "amazing" trick, and then at the end its just like, "oh holy [censored] electricity was just invented and now hey Tesla make me a cloning machine, oh sweet yeah just like that ok I'll clone myself a bunch of times cya movie over."

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet but that is EXACTLY how I felt.

Even so I thought it was decent movie, just kind of laughable how a movie that is 100% realistic ends with a twist that's only explanation is, "its magic!"

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong. Watch again.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wrong. Watch again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you just explain it instead of being all cryptic about it?

Everyone in this thread already saw the movie and I'm obviously not watching a 2 hour movie again because somone on an internet forum told me to.

If I'm "wrong" then why not just enlighten me rather than being so smug.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:27 AM

It's a difficult movie to figure out. The first time I saw it I fully bought that Tesla's machine worked and thought it was a bit odd that the movie was actually fantastical. I still enjoyed it immensely though. Once the DVD came out I watched it again and began to question my previous interpretation.

After the third viewing I think I could make a semi reasonable case for Teslas machine not actually working and Angier in fact pulled off a huge trick and we as the audience were also fooled. I really need to watch it again with all that in mind to actually be able to articule my thoughts on the matter though. I think a link to a possible non-magic explanation was posted earlier in this thread or perhaps a different thread.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:32 AM

The first time I watched the film, I was sure that the cloning didn't actually work, because that would be magic and magic doesn't exist. Micheal Caine says "I am telling you the only way to do that trick is with a double"... so I was convinced initially that I missed something and that they weren't really clones, however... I rewatched it and there didn't seem to be even a hint of any other possibilities besides cloning. If there are alternate theories Id love to hear them GoT.

There are no alternate theories on imdb or wikipedia.