Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 12:42 PM

Default hit partial outs but face large bets

Hi, I need some general advice on this. What shall I do when I hit a partial out but face large bets. Here is the hand I played today.

The blinds are 0.02/0.04, and all the table have deep stacks. Yes, the blinds are tiny, so we are weak.

I begin with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and open the pot on CO to .12, SB and BB calls, so the pot begins at .36.

Flop is T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets .1, BB calls .1, hero calls .1. Pot is now .66.

The turn is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets .33, BB calls .33, heros calls .33. Pot is now 1.65.

River is A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets 1, hero calls 1, SB folds.

BB shows 92 and takes the pot.

On the turn, I think I have 9 clubs full outs and 6 partial outs for aces and kings. So in all I think I have 12 outs and calls the bet. (Even the 9 full outs plus implied odds will make a call here right?)

The real problem is on the river when the partial outs hit. I was a little bit on tilt against BB so I insta-call.

Early this session, he doubled through me when I had K3 and he had KT and the board comes K93T5.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Re: hit partial outs but face large bets

Raise the flop, to at least 75 cents w/ your two overs and the nut flush draw.

As played, call turn and fold river. BB just randomly wakes up, so I put him on either a slowplayed set or a made two pair (possibly aces up)
Old 11-14-2007, 12:46 PM

Wow...

Put in a pot-sized raise on the flop, please, you have a strong draw with a lot of (fold) equity. Calling t he turn is mandatory because of the pot odds, even though the hand might have played out differently with you raising.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the flop advice. Think that will cost me .75 but save me 1.43, which is nice.

But I still want some advice on what to do on the river. It's easy fold? How to figure it out?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:58 PM

I'm not sure what you were so nervous about here, to be honest. I think you played it fine.

On the flop, you have the NFD plus likely two overs. Do you really think either of the preflop callers simply call with KK or AA? I don't think you can get the donkbetter to fold the flop, but you do have some FE and the squeeze play could take down the pot, even at this level. His bet was absurdly weak, and you've got a premium drawing hand and, in all likelihood, two overs. It turns AK into a semi-bluff, to be sure, but it also has to make villains think you could have an OP and can set up the play on later streets very nicely. Obviously, it's a bluff at this point and you might get called, but it's a consideration.

On the turn, the SB makes a half-pot raise, which means what? Top pair, IMO. POSSIBLY two pair, but if it's two pair, he's the worst bettor ever, because he's giving you perfect odds to continue to draw at the NF, or if the board pairs, it gives you a great opportunity to bluff at a better two pair. The call there is fine. You've got the odds.

On the river, the SB checking is a sign he was probably on the FD, and I'd read the BB's bluff as a total donk move, to be honest. Regardless of the fact he's got two pair, he played the hand to the ultimate level of stupidity. You hit TPTK, and on this street, with that action, you can't possibly draw the conclusion that you're beat here. It wasn't even a huge bet on the river.

A re-raise here, against a better opponent, might've been an option. However, the guy looks like an extreme station, and I don't think he's folding to any kind of a raise, stack dependent of course. I don't know how much FE you pick up by raising, because at this level, someone will play two pair like the nuts unless there's an obvious draw on the board.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:00 PM

I don't necessarily think it's an easy fold at this level. He randomly wakes up, sure, but I think he probably does that with TP as well on this level. If he's enough of a donk to absolutely ignore the flush draw on previous streets, he's enough of a donk to bet TPNK here.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:08 PM

SB's turn bet isn't too wrong? If BB is drawing to flush too, then he should folded and without his call, I wouldn't have got the enough odds.

I should have be cautious on BB's river bet. Previously he seems to be drawing too, and then he says he likes that ace too, so as bsall said, he probably had me reverse dominated.