Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Favorite Hikes

I'm a pretty avid hiker and love finding new places to go. Hopefully this thread can serve as a place to find new trails, campsites, etc.

I'll review some local favorites and a few of my memorable ones outside of the area. I don't really take many pictures, so I did my best to find pics online.

<u>Local</u>

Most of these are small mountains as you need to drive at least 2-2.5 hours out of NYC to hike mountains of any real size (i.e. 4K+ elevation)

<u>Bear Mountain</u>

This is a pretty popular destination for people in NYC b/c it is one of the closest mountains to the city - it's about 45 minutes north on the Palisades Parkway. It's a little different for me because I grew up 15 minutes away. It's not a big mountain - the base is actually the lowest point on the Appalachian Trail. Also, the main trail is not very challenging. However, far less know about a trail that goes up the steeper side of the mountain. This is my preferred route. I do this hike 2 - 4 times per year (about 2 hours to get up and down) - I do it early in the year as a benchmark and use it to measure my physical fitness throughout the year. There's also a nice skyline view on a clear day.

Lowest point on AT

Hotel at base of mountain

View of lowest point about 3/4 of the way up

<u>Mohonk Mountain House - the Lemon Squeeze</u>

Located in New Paltz, NY, about 1.5 hours north of NYC, this is another great little hike. It is more a pile of rocks than mountain - you can reach the top in 15-minutes if you take the road. But the trail is difficult - an on-all-fours type of climb up through rocks. You will go into small caves, squeeze through narrow passages, and climb up ladders built into the rock. It's another good workout, and there is an amazing view of the Hudson Valley at the top.

Separately, it is at the Mohonk Mountain House, which is a great (albeit expensive) hotel.

Start of Trail

Hotel where trail is located

<u>Breakneck Ridge</u>

In Cold Spring, NY (~1 hour north of NYC), another small mountain yet but challenging climb. The trail starts right on the Hudson River, and you basically climb the face of the mountain. A lot of fun and a good workout.

Start of Trail

View from across the river, the trail goes up the rock part

<u>Long-Distance</u>

For the past 10-12 years, I have taken an almost annual 4-5 day backpacking trip with friends.

<u>Sequoia National Park</u>

An absolutely beautiful park...great hiking, stunning trees, and bears everywhere. You can see very little of the park by car, I believe less than 25%. In addition, it borders Kings Canyon National Park, which is even more remote.

My favorite hike was Alta Peak at about 11K elevation. The website description:

'"Alta" means "high" in Spanish, and Alta Peak provides some of the best views and high-country scenery within day-hiking distance of the Lodgepole/Wolverton area. On a clear day, you can even see across the Great Western Divide to Mt. Whitney from the summit of Alta Peak (11,204 ft). However, the steep grades and high altitudes along this trail make it one of the most strenuous in the western half of Sequoia National Park. Don't try this hike unless you are in good physical condition. Backcountry permits are also available for this trail.'

I agree with this description, it kicked my butt, especially for an east coaster not used to the elevation.

Very common trees in the park

Alta Peak

View of the Park

<u>Lake Placid, NY</u>

A four-season town w/great skiing in the winter. The summer is fun because there are a ton of mountains and lakes spread over a few miles. This is considered the "high-peaks" region of the Adirondacks. Mt. Marcy is the tallest in the state (just over 5K), and I like the trail which first goes around the mountain and straight up the other side (away from the common approach). Mt. Phelps is an easier alternative in this area, but provides spectacular views.

Views of the region

Mt. Marcy in winter

<u>Other Great Hikes/Areas</u>, but don't currently have the time to write about:

Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Acadia National Park
Mt. Katahdin, Maine (Baxter State Park)
Pikes Peak, Colorado
Cape Breton Highlands National Park, Nova Scotia, Canada
Anywhere in the Scottish Highlands