Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 11:01 AM

Default [NL25] KK against sudden All In

Hello,

Is this a standart call?

Villain (55/33/2) was minraising a lot of hands, but I saw him fold many of them against a preflop re-raise. I just call on the Button with KK because I want him to conti-bet the flop which he was doing every time. The flop isn't very scary so a re-raise would have made him fold. I call an he shoves the turn.

Hands he could have are 66 (with 55, 77 and 22 he would have bet more on the flop as he was doing before with a made hand), A7/6/5/4 perhabs. If he has 89 or 34 would he go All In? I don't see AA because he would have raised more preflop and on the flop.

What do you put him on? The call is reasonable against such a villain, isn't it?

Thank you!

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $14.60
CO: $24.65
Hero: $31.50
SB: $24.15
BB: $56.60

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $0.5</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, 2 folds.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($1.35, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $1</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($3.35, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG is all-in $13.1</font>, Hero calls.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($29.55, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $29.55)

Results:
Final pot: $29.55
Old 07-30-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Re: [NL25] KK against sudden All In

I don't like a call here. I would put him on a made straight. Players at this level get very excited when they make a big hand and like to go all-in immediately - they often aren't thinking about how to extract the most value. There is too much that beats you here. If he doesn't have a straight he probably has a set or something stronger than one pair. Easy fold imo

BTW, you really need to raise the flop. I think you were trying to be too tricky slowplaying the kings. KK is not really a good hand to slowplay in most cases. This example illustrates exactly why that is
Old 07-30-2007, 11:13 AM

RR pre-flop. Raise flop.
As played, call, but you are beat here a lot.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:18 AM

You think I'm already beat at the flop? He minraises 33% of his hands preflop, but I don't think he has 2Pair here. And I don't see him standart contibet with a set. Perhabs I'm too into my read and don't see the obvious thing.

Calling his minraise on the Button, is it that bad? KK is a strong hand against his range, and he will fold a lot of his hands against a re-raise.

Just what I was thinking, appreciate any comments [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2007, 11:19 AM

3bet to 2 preflop.
Reraise flop to 4-5.
Turn is a call. I think he got 99+ here.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3bet to 2 preflop.
Reraise flop to 4-5.
Turn is a fold

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-30-2007, 12:12 PM

Yeah I prefer the standard way 3-bet stuff but with the line you took this is so so so easy turn call.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:19 PM

Problem with cold-calling PF is that SB and BB could easily come along and you don't want KK in a 4-way pot. Pop it up to $2 PF and try and isolate him, if he folds then well you were unlikely to get much out of him probably anyway.

On the flop, again raise. If you raise and he folds, well he was unlikely to put much more money in anyway. However if he is keen on his hand, you obviously make a larger pot this way.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:40 PM

I think you're right. Against the bad players slowplaying is even more risky. I usually play these hands straight forward, don't know why I wanted to play this hand "tricky".

Villain had J9 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (but that doesn't change my bad play)
Old 07-31-2007, 09:21 PM

I think not reraising preflop is quite bad, do not be surprised if he randomly decides to call the reraise with any 2 cards but the main reason to reraise is we do not want the blinds to call and have a multiway small pot here because if both the blinds call it's quite likely something will flop something that beats kk.

Flop I would raise but I don't mind just calling as much as preflop since it's quite dry. I would snap call turn, I think against this type of player with quite a small stack you will be ahead very often.