Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: UFC News - Sean Sherk fails a post-fight drug test

His opponent, Hermes Franca, tested positive too, but admitted to it/isn't challenging the test.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:43 PM

Penn had said he wanted to move up in weight class to welterweight and take another shot at Matt Hughes. A determined Penn with 15-20 of pure muscle is scary. He outclassed Matt in their last fight but his poor conditioning did him in. I would love to see a rematch and see Penn beat the snot out of Matt.

Also you just know that the UFC are just dying to get Roger Huerta in the mix too. This guy is a dream come true maketing bonanza for the UFC to tap into the hispanic market.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody know if a Clay Guida-Tyson Griffin rematch is in the books? IMO, the UFC Fight of the Year so far and Guida got robbed. I don't know if either can compete for the title, but I'd like to see them fight again.

Also, anyone watched Urijah Faber in the WEC yet? Is he even too small for the UFC lightweight division? Should he stick to dominating the WEC, or you think he can make the jump? I guess Faber-Pulver must be soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guida already has a very tough fight coming up against Aurelio. I think there's a good chance he gets dumped if he loses a 3rd fight in a row. It's too bad, since he's a decent fighter. He's had some really hard matchups.

Faber's too small to fight efficiently at LW. He just has to hope that WEC grows and/or the UFC adds a 145 class in the next year or two.

[ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth...Nate Marquardt tested positive for nandrolone after his first UFC fight with a level of 49 - it was found to be a false positive. Sherk's level was 12; given that research has proven high protein diets and hard cardio can elevate nandrolone levels I'm not convinced this isn't a repeat of Nate's situation. If Sherk actually did juice, he should be stripped of the belt (same way Sylvia was when he tested positive) and there should be an interim championship fight ASAP between BJ Penn and the winner of Spencer Fisher-Din Thomas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back to the topic at hand. I think Sherk is most likely guilty, and probably used 1 or more other substances that were out of his system in time for the fight. That said, his low levels combined with some well thought out excuses might get him a successful appeal.

[ QUOTE ]
Penn had said he wanted to move up in weight class to welterweight and take another shot at Matt Hughes. A determined Penn with 15-20 of pure muscle is scary. He outclassed Matt in their last fight but his poor conditioning did him in. I would love to see a rematch and see Penn beat the snot out of Matt.

Also you just know that the UFC are just dying to get Roger Huerta in the mix too. This guy is a dream come true maketing bonanza for the UFC to tap into the hispanic market.

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes a lot of time to gain that much muscle, especially if you aren't cheating. It would probably cut into his other training to some extent. Unless he takes a long time away from fighting, he won't be fighting efficiently at 170 for a few fights, at least. Of course, he has a good chance of beating the top guys at 170 even with a size disadvantage. The ufc LW division looks really juicy for Penn right now, but since he doesn't need money, he might just try for the glory.

Hopefully they put Huerta up against a more established ufc veteran if he wins his next fight. The ufc is clearly padding his record, and it could bite them in the ass if Crane turns out to be a better fighter, or flukes him.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:32 PM

proof mma has finally made it.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:36 PM

I think it was on the UFC All Access show, Sherk admitted to taking 22 supplements. There's a chance that combined + exercise may contribute to his levels.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:39 PM

For what it's worth, Dana White said after UFC 73 that Sherk and Penn would fight for the title - now that Sherk's out of the picture (for now) BJ would be a fool to move up to 170; there's absolutely nobody worthy of title contention at 155 that could even take BJ to a decision. BJ could win with one arm behind his back against any 155'er not named Sherk or Tavarez.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He outclassed Matt in their last fight but his poor conditioning did him in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wasn't it a freak injury that messed him up?

I also wanted to see Sherk and Penn, but unless Sherk is proven innocent it's probably not going to happen. I'd love to see a rematch of Penn and GSP, IMO they are the best at 170 and pretty amazing/exciting fighters when healthy/conditioned.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:50 AM

BJ broke his rib in Hughes II.