Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 03:38 PM

Default UFC News - Sean Sherk fails a post-fight drug test

Anyone surprised by this???

Not gonna lie, as the sport reaches it maturity

Coupled with the fact that the UFC fed us a 30 minute program emphasizing just how hard Sean "The Steroid Shark" Sherk trains for his fights, this is kind of a huge blow to Zuffa and MMA I think . . .

Now they have to strip him of the title. ANNOUNCE he was stripped for steroid purposes, and have BJ Penn + someone else fight for the title.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: UFC News - Sean Sherk fails a post-fight drug test

Who?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:08 PM

Damn that sucks..I mean during the fight everyone at my house was making steroid jokes, but sucks to see he was dumb enough to actually use..

Just seems insane that knowing he was going to be tested a champion would take this risk..

So who else is for a lightweight Grand Prix for champion..
Old 07-19-2007, 04:18 PM

For what its worth..

Sean Sherk Plans To Challenge Drug-Test Result
MMANews.com

The following is an update on the Sean Sherk situation from Dave Meltzer's WrestlingObserver.com website:

Loretta Hunt reported on Fight Network radio that Greg Nelson has indicated Sherk will challenge the test result.

Because the fight was in California, and not Nevada, the commission doesn't have the power to overturn the result of the match.

UFC has not yet made a statement regarding the test result. Sherk has 30 days to request a hearing. If he fails to successfully appeal the test result, one would think UFC would have little choice but to strip him of his championship.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:41 PM

Damn, I was really looking forward to Sherk-Penn. My guess is Penn-Florian for the vacant title?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:53 PM

I made the steroid comment too when I saw the fight. Penn-Florian wouldn't even be a contest.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is Penn-Florian for the vacant title?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't make sense to give Florian another shot. Stevenson would make more sense if he wins his next fight. Maybe the winner of Thomas/Fisher if they don't mind waiting. Only reason to put in Florian is if they're desperate to have the event in November or earlier, and Stevenson loses/can't be ready in time. Gomi's another possibility if he isn't shackled to k-1, but I doubt White would shell out the cash.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Penn-Florian wouldn't even be a contest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there's anyone left in the LW division with a decent shot at beating Penn if Sherk's suspension holds. He's basically better at everything than anyone in the division, and the few exceptions are too weak in other areas to make up the difference.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My guess is Penn-Florian for the vacant title?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't make sense to give Florian another shot. Stevenson would make more sense if he wins his next fight. Maybe the winner of Thomas/Fisher if they don't mind waiting. Only reason to put in Florian is if they're desperate to have the event in November or earlier, and Stevenson loses/can't be ready in time. Gomi's another possibility if he isn't shackled to k-1, but I doubt White would shell out the cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I didn't really realize it's only been 2 fights/wins since his loss to Sherk in November. He needs a good win or two first.

Anybody know if a Clay Guida-Tyson Griffin rematch is in the books? IMO, the UFC Fight of the Year so far and Guida got robbed. I don't know if either can compete for the title, but I'd like to see them fight again.

Also, anyone watched Urijah Faber in the WEC yet? Is he even too small for the UFC lightweight division? Should he stick to dominating the WEC, or you think he can make the jump? I guess Faber-Pulver must be soon.

EDIT: Interesting. Faber's only loss is to Griffin.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:20 PM

For what it's worth...Nate Marquardt tested positive for nandrolone after his first UFC fight with a level of 49 - it was found to be a false positive. Sherk's level was 12; given that research has proven high protein diets and hard cardio can elevate nandrolone levels I'm not convinced this isn't a repeat of Nate's situation. If Sherk actually did juice, he should be stripped of the belt (same way Sylvia was when he tested positive) and there should be an interim championship fight ASAP between BJ Penn and the winner of Spencer Fisher-Din Thomas.