Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Stars massive field, ITM, evaluate my exit please.

I hate the first two so much. I love having big stacks like you in tournaments, they give me life.

First of all, there's no [censored]' way he's going anywhere when you raise 2400 OOP with your big stack. He's not going anywhere. Anywhere. Then, on the flop, it's a massively hard decision where you are ahead on the flop, at best, 65/35, or WB. I don't even know how to play this on the flop - I hate myself for not betting out, I hate myself for not calling if I check, I hate myself for calling, I just wind up hating myself [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

The second is terrible too. I have a very fundamental believe that grows by the day that if we all just folded AJo preflop forever, not even consider it even in the "best" of circumstances, that we would all be more profitable poker players. The hand is a [censored] stack killer. I don't know how many short stacks I've tried to abuse with this hand only to see them show the same [censored] hands over and over: AK, JJ+. Oh, sometimes they show 1010 or 99 and I still lose.

There should be a theory post (anyone? anyone?) discussing AJo and WHEN is the proper time to use it. When UTG min raises like this, for instance, it's not the proper time to use it.

3. It's fine, standard.

In general, this is a tournament you really need to learn from so you can take two major leaks out of your game. The first is trying to bully OOP against the wrong opponents. And the second is to re-assess your value with AJo. And you need to think about the concept of fold equity some more. And bet sizing.

Barry
Old 07-02-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

anyway, UTG has a pretty small stack, that's true. What do you think his range is, considering he's tight-passive, 9-handed and he doesn't push it in?

[/ QUOTE ]

At this level? could be 55+, Axs, A7o+.

Real player JJ+ AJs+ AQo+? Maybe other stuff looking to stop and go as he is in position [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, no, no way that is his range. He sure as hell isn't tight passive in that case.

Being pretty liberal, I think 77+,AJo+,ATo+ is the loosest you can put him on.

If you put him on Ax because it's a low buy-in, you need to alter your image of him from "tight passive" to "crazy weirdo loose-passive with occasional aggro spasms" or something.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In general, this is a tournament you really need to learn from so you can take two major leaks out of your game. The first is trying to bully OOP against the wrong opponents. And the second is to re-assess your value with AJo. And you need to think about the concept of fold equity some more. And bet sizing.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. Your right, I desperatley need to learn how to use a big stack technically better, To a point I am ok, I mean, I built to this from about 17000 by abusing people in a more thought out way, its just when it gets to this stage where I am comfortably covering everyone I kinda forget to think about the basics, which I do know and appreciate very well. I posted these three hands because I felt desperatly the need to learn from them when I went busto, as I was i na great position and felt I had a big edge over the field.

Thanks for the posts folks very constructive, i will learn, I will abuse shortys in a more appropriate way, I will learn to use a bigstack correctly, I will stop playing ajo in any position ever and I will ship a massive field tourney on stars [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2007, 09:01 PM

I had trouble getting past the first hand. Did you have somewhere to go? You try a steal with easily dominatable garbage (which is fine depending on how you view your opponent) then proceed to piss away as many chips as you can grab, with no kicker and no spade in your hand. Just because you are the big stack doesn't mean you have a liscence to play like a complete psycho. You worked hard for those chips (presumably), show them some repect. All-in with AJ? You need to tighten up your play. I would recommend studying how certain hands play vs a certain range. For example, against the top 5% of hands (99+, AQ+) your AJ is around 30% to win. Unless you have a very specific read don't spew your chips hoping to get lucky. As played, i think your only hope of winning this tournament was to suck-out more than Jamie Gold at last years main event.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had trouble getting past the first hand. Did you have somewhere to go? You try a steal with easily dominatable garbage (which is fine depending on how you view your opponent) then proceed to piss away as many chips as you can grab, with no kicker and no spade in your hand. Just because you are the big stack doesn't mean you have a liscence to play like a complete psycho. You worked hard for those chips (presumably), show them some repect. All-in with AJ? You need to tighten up your play. I would recommend studying how certain hands play vs a certain range. For example, against the top 5% of hands (99+, AQ+) your AJ is around 30% to win. Unless you have a very specific read don't spew your chips hoping to get lucky. As played, i think your only hope of winning this tournament was to suck-out more than Jamie Gold at last years main event.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, very witty wp [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So were ok to try the steal in hand one, but we get called, so what are your thoughts after the flop? We're check folding?? No thanks. Can we fold to the shove considering our image at the table? Im not sure.

I agree about my over aggressive-ness on hand 2, trust me ive had it drummed into me by Mr Harrington that this spot is a clear fold, but I am adjusting to my environment. I still defend my view of his range, having played lots of these $1 tourneys people will seriously raise and call with Q10 suited etc etc in any position, and with a bigstack arent we looking to take these idiots apart??

matt
Old 07-04-2007, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

hand 2: this I like. It's less than half your stack, and might be a resteal (although your LAG image probably hurts your here). You might try a stop and go here, hoping that the flop in some way scares him? Dunno if other tpt'ers can give any insight into this?

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmmm.. do you know what a stop n go is? you need to be first to act on the flop to do a stop n go.
and like another poster already said, there is no way villain is getting away from hand 2 after raising that much of his chipstack.

hand 1 is just horrible. just check it, don't be an aggro donk chipleader (unless we're playing at the same table).

and hand 3 i wouldn't push b/c of your image. if you had a super tight image i would.

learn more about starting hands in each position, the gap concept, FOLD EQUITY!!!!, and just about late game stages.

and to answer your question, yes, w/ a bigstack we're "looking to take these idiots apart". however, you must be SMART about it. oh, and PLEASE stop w/ the minraising preflop. such a novice move.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FOLD EQUITY!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you know what this means.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

hand 1 is just horrible. just check it, don't be an aggro donk chipleader (unless we're playing at the same table).

and hand 3 i wouldn't push b/c of your image. if you had a super tight image i would.

learn more about starting hands in each position, the gap concept, FOLD EQUITY!!!!, and just about late game stages.

and to answer your question, yes, w/ a bigstack we're "looking to take these idiots apart". however, you must be SMART about it. oh, and PLEASE stop w/ the minraising preflop. such a novice move.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all I obviously know and understand basic poker stratagems like the gap concept, were into the last 150 of a 2200 man tourney for crikeys sake, gimme SOME credit.

I dont understand fully how this is soooo bad, were into an endgame situation, and to an extent things that are vital during the early stages of a tourney, gap concept, sandwich effect etc etc go out the window. Yes early in a tourney with normal stacks its a super easy fold. But Villains M = 4.1 at the start of this hand, if he shoves instead are you telling me your folding AJo?? Ok so the minraise might mean a monster but as you aluded to some people dont understand fold equity or first in vigorish, and they will raise like this with something me or you might be willing to shove with an M of 4.

I think your overthinking this spot to be honest, and the more I think about it I like it more. Hand 1 is more interesting to me, I think hand 2 is actually quite standard tbh.

I also think that regardless of table image, in hand 3 youve got to shove ATC. one gap SC's is way better than id need. M=4.3, we cant afford to pay one more blind, the antes are gna hurt us til then, and we might not be first in the pot again. Rereading HOH2 Inflection points section "red zone strategy in action" might be a good idea dude.

Matt
Old 07-04-2007, 09:34 AM

HoH is pretty outdated with regards to when you have FE. I basically draw the line at like 6 BBs. You definitely have FE even after the blinds go through you. Shoving ATC in hand 3 is pretty terrible, seriously.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
HoH is pretty outdated with regards to when you have FE. I basically draw the line at like 6 BBs. You definitely have FE even after the blinds go through you. Shoving ATC in hand 3 is pretty terrible, seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

i appreciate that you at least validate your point soulman unlike others who just say its awful. Well its about time action dan got off his ass and wrote an updated version then eh cos to me that books like the bible when it comes to the endgame.

And surely its not outdated with regards to calling an all in (ok so he didnt shove but u get my drift)from someone with an m of 4 whos about to pay the blinds when holding ajo (hand 2)?