Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: DeathDonkey is in the well

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My main game these days is probably 30/60 online and 100/200 at Commerce. I've played as high as 400/800 (both holdem and mixed games)

[/ QUOTE ]

This brings up something I've wondered about. Is it possible to make a genuine long-term profit playing really high-stakes limit online?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the best players, absolutely, though the variance might make some sick. I should clarify that all my hands logged above 100/200 have been at live poker only, never played those scary big online games. I'm not entirely sure I'm answering the question you had in mind, if I didn't please rephrase.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I read in Ed's blog that he believes that games are moving away from limit to NL (not sure if he was talking online or live, low-stakes or high-stakes). Thoughts on that?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:31 PM

Chris -

[ QUOTE ]
My main game these days is probably 30/60 online and 100/200 at Commerce. I've played as high as 400/800 (both holdem and mixed games) and I'll play any limit game there is including made up ones because its fun to figure things out.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your approximate winrate at the Commerce 100/200? At 30/60 online?

How does the 100/200 Commerce game compare to online games? In other words, fill in the blank: If you could beat ....... online, then you should be able to beat the 100/200 game.

What were the hardest lessons (poker and life lessons) that you learned as you moved up in stakes?

[ QUOTE ]
So I write when I can on my blog and have written a few poker articles that I posted on 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Links to any of these?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:39 PM

What do you feel is the biggest diff between 1/2-2/4, my current online game, and 5/10? 30/60?

I've played as high as 30/60 live and to me there was very little diference outside of aggression between that game and my normal 8/16 game. Did I just find some good games, or is 30/60 live just as horrible (pretty sure I alreadt know the answer)? The NorCal and Vegas games always seem juicy...

At what point/limit, do you think online games become glaringly more difficult to beat if any? Live?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:56 PM

Chris,

In your experience, is there less variance live compared to online?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:58 PM

who are your favorite posters?
what is your fav poker book, and which did you read the most times?
how many times did you move down(big)?
what makes you tilt and how do you deal with it?

cheers
Old 01-31-2007, 02:11 PM

DD,

1. tell me everything you know (or at least all the important stuff) about table and seat selection. this part of my game has been totally neglected until now so i'm taking action.

2. Thank you so much for playing this hand against Josh. it really opened my eyes regarding thinking ahead and on another level during play.

bbbushu
Old 01-31-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My main game these days is probably 30/60 online and 100/200 at Commerce. I've played as high as 400/800 (both holdem and mixed games)

[/ QUOTE ]

This brings up something I've wondered about. Is it possible to make a genuine long-term profit playing really high-stakes limit online?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the best players, absolutely, though the variance might make some sick. I should clarify that all my hands logged above 100/200 have been at live poker only, never played those scary big online games. I'm not entirely sure I'm answering the question you had in mind, if I didn't please rephrase.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I read in Ed's blog that he believes that games are moving away from limit to NL (not sure if he was talking online or live, low-stakes or high-stakes). Thoughts on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its true in the short term but will come back towards limit eventually. I think mixed games are here to stay though and that's where I concentrate my efforts these days.

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-31-2007, 02:17 PM

DD,

You mentioned congratulating yourself for poker lessons learned regardless of the money. Early in your learning, this is easy. Now, though, I'm having a harder time, since finding those lessons is harder. What was the last thing you complemented yourself for doing well on? How do you keep it up, now that many "advanced" poker concepts are routine?

Is poker still fun for you? How do you keep it fun when you're playing so much?

When was your last downswing of 200 BB or more? How have you trained yourself to keep playing, and keep playing your best, through it?

What's your favorite beer? Favorite hard liquor? Favorite mixed drink?

Do you have a favorite strategy post that you're particularly proud to have made? That is, a hand post of yours that generated particularly good discussion, or where you got to teach the bulk of the forum something new? Perhaps a theory/essay post you were proud of?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chris -

[ QUOTE ]
My main game these days is probably 30/60 online and 100/200 at Commerce. I've played as high as 400/800 (both holdem and mixed games) and I'll play any limit game there is including made up ones because its fun to figure things out.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your approximate winrate at the Commerce 100/200? At 30/60 online? <font color="blue"> I would have to do some math with my Excel chart that I use to track live play. I believe I am at least a $250 an hour favorite in a generic Commerce 100/200 game. 30/60 online I'd guess 1 bb/100 in the current games but I am beating 30/60 online games for 4 bb/100 over 50k hands in PT - I game select goood. </font>

How does the 100/200 Commerce game compare to online games? In other words, fill in the blank: If you could beat ....... online, then you should be able to beat the 100/200 game.

<font color="blue"> This is a tough one because the game is so unique. It can sometimes be very tough, at least as tough as an online full ring 30/60 game. Sometimes it can be great, but very aggressive and still somewhat dangerous, more like a loose aggressive 10/20 6max game.</font>

What were the hardest lessons (poker and life lessons) that you learned as you moved up in stakes? <font color="blue"> My psychological and actual bankrolls are not the same. At high stakes or shorthanded the player who is tilting the most is the fish. Trying to get even is stupid (still working on this). I'm sure there are more.</font>

[ QUOTE ]
So I write when I can on my blog and have written a few poker articles that I posted on 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Links to any of these?

[/ QUOTE ]

My blog is www.deathdonkey.com and the articles are at http://www.deucescracked.com/Strateg...er_Poker_Games

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-31-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you feel is the biggest diff between 1/2-2/4, my current online game, and 5/10? 30/60?

<font color="blue"> Aggression and second level thinking. At low stakes when you miss a flop and your opponent misses the flop, you will win if you were the last aggressor. At higher stakes, you will have to fight for that pot. Your opponent is thinking you missed it too and you have to beat him by using his over-optimism against him. The ways to do this are not nearly as clear as the ways to beat a "fit or fold" player.</font>

I've played as high as 30/60 live and to me there was very little diference outside of aggression between that game and my normal 8/16 game. Did I just find some good games, or is 30/60 live just as horrible (pretty sure I alreadt know the answer)? The NorCal and Vegas games always seem juicy...

<font color="blue"> Sounds about right but you are understating the aggression IMO. I would venture a guess that you ran well in the 30/60 game you played and so the aggression didn't bother you so much because you always had a hand. When you don't have a hand the aggression ranges from annoying to very dangerous. </font>

At what point/limit, do you think online games become glaringly more difficult to beat if any? Live?

[/ QUOTE ]

Online games are way more difficult at micro and small stakes than equivalent live games. I mean a 4/8 game at the Bellagio plays like a 10c/20c game online probably. The high high stakes games live are difficult because there are no equivalents online, but I'd say at 100/200 and above the games are fairly equivalent.

-DeathDonkey