Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 03:12 PM

Default the resqueeze?

5-10 6 max. I've been running bad lately so have really been playing a TAG style for once... Didn't have stats up, but I was probably 13/9 or something like that for 1/2 hour or so.

Effective stacks ~1100ish.

I open UTG to $35 w/ 66. 4 people call behind me, and a very good, laggy pro in the BB 3-bets to $220. I'm about to fold but then think that this is a great spot to squeeze (for him) and with my image maybe it's time to make a move. Should I push? He's seen me push 4-bet preflop w/ AK and QQ before...
Old 01-09-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Re: the resqueeze?

have you seen him squeeze at all lately?

The problem is that if he's been playing tightish and he picks up a big pocket pair or maybe AQ AK he'll probably go with you. He'll probably think that you think he's squeezing and go with most of those hands.

however, 13/9 is really really nitty...so if you think he's aware that you've been playing so incredibly tight then yeah its probably fine...personally I would just fold in this spot.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:19 PM

Imo going allin is very good.
A lot of depends on how likely is one of the callers trapping preflop and in what mood is "laggy pro".
Assume for simplicity that trapping wont happen and callers will just fold to teh shove.
Final pot will be 2440$ and your equity vs his calling range (probably JJ+, AK... maybe he folds JJ though if he thinks you are tight) is 35% so you are only losing about 200$ if called. There is already almost 400$ in the pot so you only need to win it preflop about 1 in 3 to break even.

So it looks like huge +EV opportunity for you as I would expect that you will take it down preflop about 50% of the time.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:22 PM

Shouldn't a 13/9 nit opening UTG deter him from 3-betting? The math might support a shove if you think he's squeezing enough, though.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't a 13/9 nit opening UTG deter him from 3-betting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you are right. I think the temptation to squeeze 5 people may be too hard to resist for person described as "laggy pro" though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2007, 03:27 PM

He's been squeezing a decent amount in good squeezable spots. And for the most part they're working.

Even though I'm playing super nitty this session, we've had some history earlier in the day where I wasn't playing like a nit, so it's hard to say what he thinks about me at this point... - I'd assume he'd notice it though as he's pretty good at adjusting.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:10 PM

push that in for sure. i'd say its almost bad not to push here. the only thing is what someone already mentioned, you are a nit opening UTG which would make it less likely for him to push.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:14 PM

i like this resqueeze a lot. i really need to look for these spots, cause i would've just grumbled and folded in game.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:30 PM

yeah - this is the one good play I've actually made in the past 2-3 days of playing - just wanted to make sure my thought process was good. I pushed, he folded quickly - yay!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:51 AM

nh