Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Pretty good exposure here.

Pretty standard responses on Paul's part, but Kudlow seemed real friendly towards him and receptive to his ideas. Don't watch CNBC much so I'm not sure if that's just his style or what. He came off well though, imo.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:04 PM

Kudlow is usually fair to him even though he disagrees. The panel agreed with Paul for the most part, even Steve Forbes who supports Rudy! The last guy brought up drug legalization into an economics discussion as a way to discredit Ron Paul.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:07 PM

I have a question about primaries.

Suppose RP manages to get 25-30%, and has a plurality in the early primaries. Will the other candidates drop out and move their votes behind a second place Giuliani? How is less than a majority treated in these things?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:21 PM

Generally, candidates who think they have no shot drop out and "release" their delegates. That means that it is up to each delegate to decide who to support, although they may consider the recommendation of the candidate and most of them wind up supporting the nominee. Usually, candidates keep dropping out until the only candidates left are gadflies staying in for exposure and the eventual nominee who starts racking up majorities.

I honestly don't know how delegates are awarded. Between the Dems and the GOP, one party is winner take all and gives all of a state's delegates to a plurarlity, the other awards delegates proportionally, but I don't know which is which. If no candidate secures a majority of delegates, the delegates may switch their preferences and they keep voting at the convention until a candidate has a majority.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:38 PM

CNBC with Ron Paul about Monetary Policy 11-8-07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZsZ0_OLer4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNH5Xy8_0NM
Old 11-08-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ron Paul with Wolf Blitzer in the Situation Room 10-8-2007

Ron Paul vs Ben Bernanke 10-8-2007

[/ QUOTE ]

Wolf Blitzer explained a ton of bills that Ron Paul shot down and I absolutely LOVE the Rosa Parks thing. He asked members of Congress to chip in $100 to mint the medal themselves and they declined. Priceless.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:21 PM

So basically Ron Paul needs to get a majority of the votes to win the primary? 30% will not be enough, as long as all the 70% other canditates are neocons?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:00 AM

No. If Paul is consistently winning pluralities, the other major candidates will drop out and the delegates they win will likely support Paul. I would be very surprised if "released" delegates choose to support a candidate other than the front runner. Party loyalty and "coming together" after a primary campaign is very important to the kind of people who are selected as delegates.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No. If Paul is consistently winning pluralities, the other major candidates will drop out and the delegates they win will likely support Paul. I would be very surprised if "released" delegates choose to support a candidate other than the front runner. Party loyalty and "coming together" after a primary campaign is very important to the kind of people who are selected as delegates.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably correct, and even if the delegates simply vote as the party leadership tells them, it'll probably be for Paul. As was mentioned in another thread about the possibility of a third party neocon running if Paul wins, the risks behind this kind of behavior of them destroying the Republican Party are far too great for them to go this route.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CNBC with Ron Paul about Monetary Policy 11-8-07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZsZ0_OLer4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNH5Xy8_0NM

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! I am so pleasantly surprised at the positive response the idea of a changing the monetary system got from the panel!

Normally when people are trying to put down Ron they say: "zomg, he wants to go back to the gold standard!" and here we have financial professionals, including Steve Forbes of all people, saying it's a great idea!