Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Newb ROI Question for WSOP

Um, in ONE event, especially the largest live tournament ever? You can't really have an expected ROI for one event... over the course of hundreds of tournaments, a rough rule of thumb is good players average over 100% ROI and the best players far exceed that.

But is this answering your question??
Old 05-15-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most likely -100%

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, thread should have ended here. Anyone who disagrees with me, let's prop bet.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most likely -100%

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, thread should have ended here. Anyone who disagrees with me, let's prop bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually people who ask the question are idiots, so I understand the disdain for the topic, but it is somewhat interesting in an intellectual way. If I got to pick the "best" 100 people from the ranks of poker pros and online stars, what would you seriously expect their ROI to be collectively? I picked 20 last year for a friendly wager and their ROI was pretty awesome, thanks to Cunningham.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, in ONE event, especially the largest live tournament ever? You can't really have an expected ROI for one event... over the course of hundreds of tournaments, a rough rule of thumb is good players average over 100% ROI and the best players far exceed that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you still have an average ROI over one event. The problem is that none of us can come close to answering that for OP.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:21 PM

Honestly I think the world's best tournament players can easily have a 1000% roi in this tournament.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most likely -100%

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually people who ask the question are idiots, so I understand the disdain for the topic, but it is somewhat interesting in an intellectual way. If I got to pick the "best" 100 people from the ranks of poker pros and online stars, what would you seriously expect their ROI to be collectively? I picked 20 last year for a friendly wager and their ROI was pretty awesome, thanks to Cunningham.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can work out an average ROI for one player in many tourneys, or many players in one tourney, but not for one player in one tourney. (Didn't Lincoln say that once??) Thayer is essentially right since 90% of the field will have a -100% ROI no matter how good they are. By definition, an average player will average a 0% ROI (minus rake). A very good tourney player will average 50-100% ROI, and world class will be 100%+
Old 05-16-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was basically asking what a good players ROI would be if he could somehow play in a ton of WSOP MEs in a row.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:54 AM

I've read that in the past, a good pro had an EV of around 6x buyins for the main event (dead money, superior skill, etc). With the influx of online qualifiers, that probably went up in the past. Now that most sites are giving cash instead of seats, I expect that most will pocket the money, and only the better online players will actually play the seat. So the EV may drop back a bit this year, but probably still higher than 6x.