Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Live Etiquette - Line Check

[ QUOTE ]
Er, how is over-raking not reversible? First, let me say I'm at a place that does drop, not rake, so it's easier to correct. I'll gladly under-drop the next hand to make up for it, and I've even done that myself when nobody noticed. I've given a dollar back out of my pocket, as well. It's your sort of knee-jerk extreme reaction that is what I could do without.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure where you get the impression I always have an 'extreme' reaction. I only call the floor if there's a second offense. When I do call the floor, I tip the dealer extra, to make sure they realize it's not personal. In my room, underrakings are not reversible.

[ QUOTE ]
Talk to me like a person, not a dancing monkey. You'll have all e-tables soon enough, don't worry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never talked to you like a dancing monkey, maybe you, as a competent dealer, shouldn't get so defensive about lousy dealers at another property. Regarding e-tables, my fingers are crossed . . .

[ QUOTE ]
For others, perhaps, but not for me. As I said in the post you quoted, I count the players every time and announce it every time. If I over-rake, it's usually only for one hand, and it rarely happens. If it's pointed out to me that I've been over-dropping the entire down, I'll gladly make it up to the players best I can from my pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you. A few hours ago, when I called out a (good) dealer on a heavy rake, he simply looked at me and shrugged. I called the floor because he clearly wasn't intersted in making it up, and didn't think it was important at all. [ QUOTE ]

As silly as my job is, I have pride in it, and a few bucks isn't worth tarnishing my standing in the room. I'm sorry if this attitude genuinely frustrates you.

[/ QUOTE ]

That attitude doesn't frustrate me. What frustrates me are dealers who don't think that taking too much rake matters at all. Your post has made it more than clear that you think over-raking is a problem when it happens.
[ QUOTE ]

I have a university degree, so am I allowed to go on auto-pilot? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez, this made me angry, until I saw the winky-guy. Note that I wasn't assuming you didn't have a university degree, just stating that you were fortunate to have a 'career-wage' job in a field that doesn't require a university education (and I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess you didn't graduate with an honors degree in engineering or anything.
[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, you WANT your dealers to get into a flow. This is an incredibly repetitive job. I deal 200-300 hands a shift. I don't even look at the board most of the time. You don't want me to focus 100% on everything on every hand. It would slow me down considerably not to use my shorthand. Mostly the games run themselves, and I pay more attention when I can tell it needs it, but usually I'm just in auto mode. Doing that saves my energy for when I need it, when it matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we mean different things by 'autopilot'. Let me make what I mean clear:

Autopilot where things go smoothly because you're in an (accurate and speedy) groove = good

Autopilot where you drop too much rake because your eyes are glazed over and you don't give your job the serious care it deserves = bad.
[ QUOTE ]

Eh, I would expect my bosses to give me a gentle reminder. Maybe not the super higher ups who don't know me, but my day to day supervisors know I'm a good dealer and that I can err every once in a while. For some reason you seem to think that the occasional extra dollar dropped - which as I've stated I am always willing to compensate - is the end of everything for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, glad you don't suck as a dealer, glad you're willing to take care of your own mistakes, glad your bosses aren't douches. However, let me reiterate that I'm not referring to a 'one-time thing' by an otherwise great dealer. I have noticed overraking EVERY TIME I've been to Riverside in the last 2 weeks (at least 10 times). If there was a constant pattern the other way, not even the friendliest of supervisors should let it slide with a gentle reminder.[ QUOTE ]

If you don't think my auto-pilot mode is good for you, consider this: the high stakes players and prop players routinely compliment me on my dealing, and have many times told me I'm the best dealer in the house during my shift. I get out far more hands than almost any other dealer. My table is almost always clean, action clear, board neat. I prompt when needed, stay out when not. I'm aware of which players need help and which want to be left alone. I move the game along as quickly as possible, within the comfort zone shy of rushing. Factor that into your histronics when trying to figure out how much money I've stolen from you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think your rhetoric is helpful (or makes much sense in response to what I said). I certainly have not directed histrionics at you, and you certainly haven't stolen anything from me. Thanks for not being a bad dealer, I'll reward you with an extra buck at the end of every down. I will not reward you by acting as if it's not important when you take extra money off the table. I expect you to show me the same courtesy (which it's clear you would). You really seemed to respond very defensively to my post.[ QUOTE ]

So, yeah, how about a simple gentle reminder on the very rare occasion this happens? Have I proven myself well enough for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I notice it happen once, then there are likely times when I haven't noticed it. In your case, I probably wouldn't notice it becuase of how rare you claim to over-drop. Even if I played for hours and hours with you, and caught a rare slip-up, if know you're the kind of dealer who will do his/her best to make mistakes right, then you'd get a very gentle reminder (probably after your down off to the side.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Live Etiquette - Line Check

Heh, you're right, I went a little overboard. You caught me right after a couple days of especially annoying and overly nitty players, and since you quoted my post entire I took it a little too personally. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] In my last response I also didn't realize you were the OP, so I didn't combine the attitudes I saw through the thread. I was out of line, sorry.

Tho' I did think a bit more about the non-reversible aspect of over-raking. Really, that's one of the only mistakes that is reversible in a way that doesn't affect anything at all. Most other more common dealer errors result in someone not getting the proper cards or the board coming out differently. Those are certainly not reversible.

[ QUOTE ]
Good for you. A few hours ago, when I called out a (good) dealer on a heavy rake, he simply looked at me and shrugged. I called the floor because he clearly wasn't intersted in making it up, and didn't think it was important at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your club must really suck, then. Sorry you have to deal with that.

[ QUOTE ]
...I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess you didn't graduate with an honors degree in engineering or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Architecture, and a decade of work in the field. Is that good enough? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I'm dealing as a way out of mainstream, soul-sucking society.

[ QUOTE ]
I think we mean different things by 'autopilot'.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Again, over-reaction by me. Whoops.

[ QUOTE ]
if know you're the kind of dealer who will do his/her best to make mistakes right, then you'd get a very gentle reminder (probably after your down off to the side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay, you're one of the good ones. Once again, my apologies.