Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Fun in Big Pots

Bellagio 30-60. Weird things going on in this game at the moment. Otherwise decent players have turned into coldcalling machines the past 30 minutes, and I mean big time. Preflop and postflop. Nothing too tricky going on after the flop, though.

Preflop:
UTG (tight/ passive preflop, very straightforwad postflop) limps, UTG+1 (TAG) raises, The Dude 3-bets K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in MP. CO thinks and calls, SB (Vegas local) calls, BB calls, others call.

Flop: (18 SBs) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 Players)</font>
UTG bets out, UTG+1 calls.

If we assume anyone with a gutshot or a pair is calling two on the flop (except maybe something like TT or 66 - maybe), does anyone just call to raise the turn? How often will the turn get checked to The Dude if he just calls?

I found myself in this situation twice last night, and find myself somewhat torn. I almost just called this flop.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Fun in Big Pots

I'd be suprised if a guy betting into a field on this flop into a flop raiser and 3 bettor is just checking the turn if only called.

I'd raise it. Not only do people have to worry about calling the 2 cold buy a possible 3 bet after. Though a 3 bet from UTG here would probably suck.

If there were no big cards on the board and you had QQ-TT or 99 I might wait to the turn. AA and KK I usually bang on the flop.

b
Old 08-12-2007, 02:59 PM

board's dry enough to not worry about what the turn will bring b4 raising. raise the flop now for value.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:12 PM

when we wait for the turn to raise, we'll have a better chance of knocking out players behind us, which will improve our chances of winning the pot significantly, in big pots, this is obv important

the problem is of course, that we're not sure that we'll be bet into on the turn, which would make not raising the flop a big mistake

also, by not raising flop, we're giving the players behind us tremendous odds to call with all sorts of backdoor crap, whom we'll never get rid off if they catch their card for an oesd or a fd, but they will fold these holdings for 2 bets

therefore, I think the straight forward play is best here, and I'd just go ahead and raise it up right now
Old 08-12-2007, 03:12 PM

I think you gotta raise this flop with your overpair. The pot is huge and the players loose. They could have anything, so make those weak draws pay now or get out. My biggest concern at the moment is that UTG flopped a set of eights or fives. Time to raise and find out...
Old 08-12-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd raise it. Not only should people have to worry about calling the 2 cold buy a possible 3 bet after. Though a 3 bet from UTG here would probably suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

They should have to worry about that but the coldcalling, ultra-showdown monkey Bellagio 30 regulars will not worry about this. I would raise the flop, but only because I play so mechanically. I think the Dude's instinct to flat call and raise the turn is just right IMO.

Keep takin er easy for all us sinners out there...
Old 08-12-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My biggest concern at the moment is that UTG flopped a set of eights or fives. Time to raise and find out...

[/ QUOTE ]

so, you are going to fold this hand at some point?
Old 08-12-2007, 04:11 PM

Dude, I am confused.... don't you want them to call 2 cold with their gutshots or whatever?
Old 08-12-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, I am confused.... don't you want them to call 2 cold with their gutshots or whatever?

[/ QUOTE ]

and that guy who called 3 cold has TT-JJ. get rid of him.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My biggest concern at the moment is that UTG flopped a set of eights or fives. Time to raise and find out...

[/ QUOTE ]

so, you are going to fold this hand at some point?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, but I might muck...