Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 08-08-2007, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Am I Stoopid?

I don't like doing this, because around here everyone checks their TPNK hand on the river, so it doesn't work.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:26 AM

That is exactly what would happen around here also. The hands that bet this river are ones that beat you and busted draws. I don't like it.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:35 PM

Forget VPIP; this is a raise 7-handed on 1) sheer strength of hand relative to your opponents likely hands, and 2) the fact that most of your opponents likely suck and will call with worse, including hands you dominate. I definitely dislike limping here, and prefer folding to that.

Not a fan of a river c/r. You'd have to have a maniacal image to get paid off by something you beat. I'd rather lead the river than c/r it.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is exactly what would happen around here also. The hands that bet this river are ones that beat you and busted draws. I don't like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly my concern. Many players at this 20/40 never bet TPGK on the river.

My results so far have been of the two times I used this line, I was called by a better hand. No one has folded yet. More experimentation might be needed but responses here don't seem overwhelmingly negative.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:33 PM

My take on this is that when the river allows a backdoor flush or straight, that is the ideal time to checkraise. Several times that I have check raised the river when I hit backdoor flushes my opponent has folded.

One guy at Commerce 9/18 open folded two pair. Before he folded he said you can't be bluffing here you must have the flush. I said "yeah, only guys in the 20/40 are good enough to bluff that hand" - hoping a little reverse psychology might get the call.

So I'm at Foxwoods 10/20 against fellow 2+2er Signal and the river 6 makes the board 8764x (or else it is K8764). Signal has raised pre-flop and bet every street including the river so he has an overpair (or top pair if the board had a K). On the river, I check then hesitate after he bets, and then I raise. He tosses in another 4 reds and says "I know you have the 5". Well when I flipped my cards over it turned out I didn't. His excuse for calling was that the pot was so big. I just picked the wrong guy - but the upside is that he is going to call just about every river bet I make...