Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 01-21-2007, 08:40 PM

Default resources for learning about web development/programming

So I know basic HTML, and thats about it(I do have a basic understanding of C++, not that that matters much).

lets say i ultimately want to know how to build a site not unlike a bare-bones version of facebook, myspace, 2+2forums, youtube, livejournal etc.

basically i am thinking about making a site where individuals are going to need to be able to create accounts for my site and then be able to basically create a blog/upload media.

so with that goal in mind, what are some books and sites that will help teach me what i need to know to get that done?
Old 01-21-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Re: resources for learning about web development/programming

Cmon now bro your being lazt now!!! Just check google but heres a great start and then after these results U can check open source in google Ok?

But all these will teach you anything U wanna know for a beginer like you and also check Webmonkey.com if U only want to like make your own webpage with a code like PHP
{FORUMS-BULLETIN BOARDS or Jva besides HTML and many more}

Look here first tho and theres also places where U can just get a free bulltin board thats already working and then add that or link it to a free website Ok? Again check google.

These are all at http://www.programmingtutorials.com/

you welcome..lazy but welcome! : }
Home
.NET Framework
ASP.NET
C#
Visual Basic .NET
Web Services

ASP 3.0
Assembly
C
C++
Cobol
ColdFusion
Delphi
HTML
J2EE
Java
JavaScript
Perl
PHP
Python
QBasic
SQL
Visual Basic 6
XML

General Forum
.NET Forum
Java/J2EE Forum
C/C++ Forum
VB/VB.NET Forum
Old 01-21-2007, 10:52 PM

ease up there buddy. i was just asking for the best way to learn about this stuff. not a way to learn about this stuff.

big difference. furthermore, i don't want to learn about programming in general, i was asking about one very specific niche of web development. a subset of a subset. search engines are only so helpful for that kind of stuff.

thanks for the help, i appreciate it.

...just asked a question. i wasn't demanding anything
Old 01-22-2007, 06:56 AM

post here what you find out. i'd also like to learn about making my own sites. what resource did you/others find helpful for learning/practicing html? i dont even know how to us FTP or anything, pretty pathetic.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:31 PM

Don't want to start a new thread so bumping this old one on social networking and facebook.

I've read the eBook before. It's light on the engineering details but still an interesting read.

[ QUOTE ]

http://www.mashable.com/

“Inside Facebook”, a look at Facebook from the perspective of a former engineer, is out in paperback on Amazon this week - it was originally released in the Fall of 2006.

Author Karel Baloun, who occasionally writes here at Mashable, is offering Mashable readers free access to the ebook version for 36 hours - you can read it at http://www.fbbook.com/mashable. We’ll try to get you a weekend extension, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-21-2007, 05:27 PM

www.w3schools.com is an excellent starting point for numerous technologies that you'll need to know about.

Try to avoid getting into the mindset of 'I don't want to learn how to program, I just want to learn this specific bit of programming'. One of the most important 'skills' for a good programmer is having a large knowledge base of what is available and what it is good for. You'll hear all kinds of arguments for why, Java is better than PHP, Ruby on Rails is better than Spring, .NET is better than mod_perl yadda yadda but the bottom line is that they all have their place and are good for different things, while many things can be done in any of them and the key factor will be what you know.

I'd advise you to start off on the front end simply because it's an easier play ground and won't require you to setup a webserver or anything like that. Make some simple, static pages and learn how to mark them up well using XHTML (preferably semantically correct once you get better at it). Make sure the pages validate for the doctype you choose and work equally well across Internet Explorer and Firefox (with bonus points available for Opera).

Once you are done with that branch out into stylesheets. Find out what is possible with CSS and the different ways you can use it. Learn when it's appropriate to use it inline, when to embed it and when to link external stylesheets. Don't start cheating and only supporting one browser, make sure your pages look good if not identical in all of the browsers mentioned above. I won't spoil the surprise of the box model problems but you'll soon come across it once you start playing.

When you're familiar with how to make pages look the way you want it's time to branch out into making them behave how you want to. This is where Javascript comes in. It's also the point where you'll start writing code as well as markup and style sheets. Get a feel for manipulating various types of data such as text and numbers then branch out into manipulating the page with it as well. At this point you should be able to create some decent DHTML type sites and, if you've kept up with both IE and FF, they should all work cross site too. When learning to write Javascript don't write everything yourself. All the best programmers reuse whatever code they can. So when you want to do something, make sure to hunt around to see if someone else has already done it (here's a quick hint, they almost certainly have).

Having learned some reasonable scripting skills in a more forgiving environment (Javascript) you'll soon want to start getting your feet wet with server side stuff. At this point you'll need to decide if administering a webserver interests you (and it probably should if you're going to take this kind of thing seriously). Take the time to at least play with IIS and Apache to see how they differ and ideally find out why you should prefer Apache (see my above comment RE 'A is better than B').

I'd highly recommend PHP as your first language. It's really easy to get a webserver up and running with it, there's a ridiculous amount of free scripts available to get you started and it's very forgiving for the beginner. The downside is it doesn't scale overly well and it lacks a lot of supporting stuff that other setups can offer. If you take it seriously and want to develop something like Facebook you'll probably quickly find that you need something with a bit better structure (although not necessarily, there's some damned good PHP work out there).

If you've made it this far then you've almost certainly heard about (and messed with) loads of other associated technologies. You should have a good wide knowledge of what is available to you and where it is appropriate. Never stop searching out new technologies and finding out whether they work for you or not. The time 'wasted' on this seemingly naff task will be returned to you 100fold later on when you know what the right tool for the job is in so many situations.

OK. Now I'm done whittering I'll hunt through my book marks for some starting points.

Excellent beginner tutorials -

www.w3schools.com
www.webmonkey.com (not as good as it used to be but still great imo)

Front end development

www.getfirefox.com - live it, learn it, love it [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
www.getfirebug.com - doing web development without it is like playing poker without a HUD

CSS [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

www.csszengarden.com - simply amazing

PHP starting point -

www.phpfreaks.com

That should get you started for now.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
furthermore, i don't want to learn about programming in general, i was asking about one very specific niche of web development.

[/ QUOTE ]

A loop works the same no matter what language it's written in. You do need to learn general programming concepts like global/local variables, objects, loops, conditionals, etc.

Someone else might not know language X but they can easily tell what this code does

For (X as Integer=0,x<11,x++)
Print X
next x

Once you know what the code does, changing the syntax to your favorite web programming language is pretty easy you'd just google "php for loop" or "perl for loop". So now we know what a for loop does we can do more real world stuff like change X from an integer to a database query result and print the top 25 salesman last month in an HTML table.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:48 PM

AVFletch is pretty spot on -

I'd say learn:

HTML (W3C validated) / CSS for layout

then PHP / mySQL for doing scripting and database design.

Just google tutorials for stuff you're not sure how to do and you'll pick up the basics pretty fast.

Light php knowledge + a good grasp on SQL will do almost anything you want on the web, unless you want to get into fancy AJAX stuff.