Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Trip Jacks - Line Check

$3 Rebuy Tourney After the Rebuy Period

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP3 (t15270)
CO (t10389)
Button (t23776)
SB (t10625)
Hero (t14693)
UTG (t16775)
UTG+1 (t26730)
MP1 (t5523)
MP2 (t37302)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t200, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls t200, Button calls t200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (t900) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, UTG calls t400, CO folds, Button folds.

Turn: (t1700) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1000</font>, UTG calls t1000.

River: (t3700) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1500</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t6000</font>, Hero calls t4500.

Final Pot: t15700
Old 05-08-2007, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Trip Jacks - Line Check

Do people not like reraising river?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:21 AM

This is a $3rebuy right? UTG could easily be on a Qc10c, KcQc type hand..22, AJ, QJ, KJ are the only hands that beat you..Shove. Likely he has a Q here..
Old 05-08-2007, 10:58 AM

Why such a small bet on the flop? There's 4 players here, and that board's definitely not dead to draws. I tend to bet 75%+ of pot with this hand. Turn bet is okay. I might check/call river bet, but am probably calling almost anything. I think I have a leak if (when) I slow down here, because he's probably calling with some Q's when he had suited clubs. This is most likely, though, a busted draw or I'm beat, so I tend to not bet river all the time... which as I said may be a leak. As played, this is tough. If he has a J, you are almost certainly behind. You really only beat a bluff. I can't see someone doing this with only a Q, so you only beat a bluff or a terribly played AA or KK. I probably make a crying call here, but man I think I'm beat. I NEVER raise here.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:08 PM

I like the flop bet, though maybe a little bigger, 500-600 is what I would do. I like the turn bet as well, but now I'm almost sure he's got either a J, wired 2s, or like stated above, KK+. So on the river I'm probably going to Check with the intent to call anything 1/2 pot or smaller, and folding to anything bigger. As played I'll probably make the crying call here because of the odds he's given you. J10+ easily makes this play, as well as the made boat. I think KK+ wouldn't raise like this. If he's been playing LAG then you can probably put him on a wider range of Jacks.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:29 PM

I could see him holding a Q here; I love flops like this in MTTs(especially in STTs though) because you can bluff bet this pot most of the time without any fear. Only a handful of cards can hit that flop, and if the villian doesn't have them, he almost always lays his hand down.

However, in your case, the villain might have been tagging along because he had overcards and thought you were making an open stab at a scetchy flop.

Sadly, his line looks like he could actually have QJ as well. I would have bet a lot stronger on flop and turn to either make sure he wasn't on the flush draw, then I'd probably be check/shoving this river if he overbets or calling a value bet.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:26 PM

I like the preF call.

I would have bet more on the flop. 75% to pot size. You are giving implied odds to the flush draw here.

I'd bet the turn bigger too for the same reason - don't give odds to the flush draw.

I'm OK with the river. I'd be nervous to call but you have to. I wouldn't push in a tourney. I might in a cash game. You are probably ahead but you don't want to risk your tournament on it.

In a $3 tourney, villain has a very wide range here. I'm guessing he has clubs and/or maybe a Q. It is possible that he has 22 or 33 and was slow playing. I don't think this is as likely though as him trying to steal after a busted flush draw. You gave him reasonable odds to call with a flush draw throughout.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:34 PM

Bet more on flop ~ 600, bet more on turn ~ 2/3 of pot, I prob check call river if he's still in hand, to let missed flush draws bet at it and lose the least when he has a better J.

The only hands we are missing value from are AA and KK which is why i say check call river.

Im am never reraising river here.