Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 02:25 AM

Default Is limp/calling with AA a reasonable approach?

In this forum, people tend to say raise initially with big pairs, and definately reraise if you limp, but I see people limp/calling with AA a lot. Is this a bad play.

This hand is from a $100 MTT, and villain is Ronenon, who appears to be sort of a regular.

I was sort of suspicious of the UTG limp from this player, but it was hard to limp behind with JJ. The river bet looked like a value bet, and I thought maybe I shouldn't have called.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP1 (t2784)
MP2 (t5473)
Hero (t5900)
CO (t10910)
Button (t3355)
SB (t5344)
BB (t1995)
UTG (t8035)
UTG+1 (t5104)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t150, UTG+1 calls t150, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t750</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls t600, UTG+1 folds.

Flop: (t1875) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t1875) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t750</font>, Hero calls t750.

River: (t3375) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t1500</font>, Hero calls t1500.

Final Pot: t6375

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Ad Ac (one pair, aces).
Hero has Js Jc (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: UTG wins t6375. </font>
Old 04-25-2007, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Is limp/calling with AA a reasonable approach?

No I don't think so... I think you'd get bet out of too many pots when cards like these fall.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:12 AM

i usually don't like limp/calling with anything
Old 04-25-2007, 04:24 AM

hmm if he had AA he was going for a check raise on the flop
other then that i would say he limped AJ off(wich would be unlikely seeing you got 2 Jacks) or maybe a small pair

hmm i doubt it but there could be a possible KQ in there
other then that i wouldnt know what villian could have

EDIT* read the results well yeah aces i dont know normally i dont like limping aces its a bad play imo you can let alott of people in
was there a aggressive table image ? in that case i can understand the limp but if the table hasnt been specially aggressive i would just raise this
i guess limping on a aggressive table is pretty good for variance and to hide youre hand
Old 04-25-2007, 04:52 AM

how do you not raise this turn... it's soo easy to rep AJ and with 2 jacks you know its fairly unlikely he has it. He's hard pressed to call this turn with 90% of the hands he bets it with.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:21 AM

i find limping with aces pre flop pretty profitable, i have been fortunate enough to be flop big hands with them, i know its not going to stay like that forever..it just depends on where you are..

early position-yes
middle position-questionable
late-retarded
Old 04-25-2007, 06:37 AM

when you play like i do and open stuff like K4s and 65s utg, not opening AA is a little silly

i can see spots where i might open limp AA but they are spots I think open limping with anything i have is preferable to raising due to stack sizes or some other concern
Old 04-25-2007, 10:27 AM

I'm not a big fan of limping AA and I don't have enough hands with this villian to know his game well. But if I did limp AA with the intention of reraising and was raised to 6X by a well-known, aggressive player, then I might just call and check-raise the flop. I think he would have expected OP to C-bet nearly 100% of the time.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:34 AM

If you're going to limp-call other stuff, I guess mixing in AA occasionally makes sense, but I'm with nath that I don't seen a lot of value to including the UTG limp-call in the set of moves you want to be able to make with some regularity. Believe it or not, there is no rule in poker that says you have to doing something super-tricky just because you have the best possible starting hand.

Also your river call looks pretty bad. Shaun's turn raise suggestion is interesting.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to limp-call other stuff, I guess mixing in AA occasionally makes sense, but I'm with nath that I don't seen a lot of value to including the UTG limp-call in the set of moves you want to be able to make with some regularity. Believe it or not, there is no rule in poker that says you have to doing something super-tricky just because you have the best possible starting hand.

Also your river call looks pretty bad. Shaun's turn raise suggestion is interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I might limp/call a pp early on. With the money this shallow, I can't see limp/calling much of anything. I might limp a small pp or something, but I would probably fold or limpreraise rather than limp/call.

I thought about raising the turn with presumably 10 outs if behind, but I figured I might be ahead and if not I was given a good price to draw.