Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 02:48 PM

Default My swing (video)

Obviously I am not very good, never had lessons. Open to all comments on swing. This shot was fairly long (for me) but went to the right (as it turns out, this is a short dogleg right so I accidentally cut the corner and it was a great result!). I will update every week for continued mockery.

Swing Aug 2
Old 08-05-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Re: My swing (video)

I think the ball is a little too far up in your stance, line it up with your left foots heel. Keep the toes of both feet on the same parralel line, I think thats why your having balance issues. From what I have read, you should be completely balanced when your swing is done, and almost taking a step towards your target.

edit: Im just studying how to swing, and suck, so if Im wrong about anything correct me.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:08 PM

Few things, your left hand grip looks weak (too far turned to the left)

I'm mainly considered though with the collapsing of the left knee in your backswing coupled with the straightening of your right leg at the same point. These two factors force the right hip to sit too high at the top of your swing causing a bit of a reverse weight shift (you're not transferring your weight to your right side in your backswing therefore you have trouble getting your weight back onto your left side in your downswing.)

The way to fix this
1. Make sure you hips are at worst level in your setup, it looks like your left hip is sitting lower than your right. You need to setup and feel more weight on your right side.

2. Grab a couple of those flotation noodles kids play with in the pool and stand on them while you make some backswings. That will certainly help you feel some lower body stability.

just my 2 cents
Old 08-06-2007, 03:33 AM

i paused the video at the top of your backswing and your left arm isn't straight....while this isn't essential to be a good golfer, it certainly helps you be consistent...i suggest shortening your backswing until you can straighten your left arm better.

also your takeaway isn't very good.

at this point, your club should be parallel like so:

to fully analyze your swing, you should also video your swing from behind so we can see your swing plane, for i would say 90% of swing faults are due to swing plane.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:27 PM

The club should be paralled to the ground just before the hands reach hip high in your backsiwng, it has nothing to do with maintaining a straight left arm.

On top of everything, having a straight left-arm is not an end-all to being a good player. There are plenty of players on tour who break down their left arm. They are mainly older player who lack upper body, mainly shoulder flexibility. It's more about having a straight left-arm in your downswing, not so much in your backswing.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:00 PM

This week's update. Focuses this week were:

1) adjust grip to avoid "weak left hand" - I kind of got a feel for it, and definitely could feel like my left hand was a much bigger part of the swing. Wasn't comfortable entirely.

2) Avoid reverse weight shift. I was a little less clear on this one, since the advice was not to collapse my left knee, which would be exactly what I thought would make your weight transfer from the front to the back during the backswing. I tried simply lining up with more weight on my back foot in my stance. Clarification on this point would be appreciated.

I took two videos today, one from the side, and one from behind (as advised - these are not two videos of the same swing obviously as I had only one camera):

Swing Aug 9, from front

Swing Aug 9 from behind

Any comments are welcome. I played absolutely horrible today and had my worst round in about a year.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:20 PM

A simple thing you should try. Stand closer to the ball. Not a ton, but enough that you feel a big difference. It'll make it easier to get your weight going the right way. When you're too far away, you're reaching and that throws your weight straight out instead of towards your target.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A simple thing you should try. Stand closer to the ball. Not a ton, but enough that you feel a big difference. It'll make it easier to get your weight going the right way. When you're too far away, you're reaching and that throws your weight straight out instead of towards your target.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If you are falling toward the tee after you hit the ball, your weight transfer is off. Looks like you might even be up on your toes some.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:07 PM

My first observation is that your shoulders were open at address (pointed to the left of your target line.)

You want your thighs, hips, forearms, and shoulders to all be lined up parallel to your target line, i.e. imagine lines running along each of those body parts and get them parallel to the target line.

If any of those lines are open, pointing to the left, it will promote a left to right ball flight; any of them point to the right, the opposite.

Sounds technical, but not much. Just a basic adjustment to improve you setup fundamentals.

I like to promote improvements on anything that doesn't involve actually swinging the club. This is one thing you can do.

-Jay