Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 03:24 PM

Default A Desperate Plea to you MTT Pros

This Post goes out as a plea to all you MTT. I’ve recently registered after lurking for quite a while and all of your posts have helped my game immensely. I’ve been playing for a little under a year both online and live in Atlantic City. I started out with play money and gradually have worked my way into 5/10cent ring games and sit n go’s ranging to $11. I play plenty of MTT as well with varied results. Deepest I’ve ever gotten is a FT in the late night FTP guarantee. (forget the actual prize pool, but I finished seventh for $300 I think) I play the stars nightly 15k almost every night but can’t seem to money consistently. I’ve read many of the top books and believe I grasp the concepts in most of them pretty well, but still I can’t seem to turn the corner for that big finish in a MTT. Is there anyone I should be logging on and watching in the Stars Sunday 1M? I’m naturally a TAG player, so I find myself in the middle of the pack a lot. I try to be pretty objective and truthful when I evaluate my play and then try and make the appropriate changes. Yet still, I can’t seem to turn the corner. So, I turn to you guys for help. I’m incredibly enthusiastic and am willing to do whatever it takes to become a consistent winner in tournament play. Are any of you guys open to letting me observe you in some of the larger satellites and MTT? My dream is to qualify for one of the EPT events through stars, but I can’t even win consistently in the lowest ring games, sit n go’s or MTT. When I look at hand examples players like Adanthar, Shaniac, Technologic, and Gobbo post, I take them to heart and try to implement the examples into my own game, yet still don’t seem to be successful. I’m basically open to starting fresh and trying to rework my thinking processes and playing style. Any Good Book Recommendations? I’m willing to run out and grab any suggestions you guys might have in that department if I don’t already own it. Where can I download a good hand converter so I can post hand examples and have them critiqued? Is Poker Tracker truly an invaluable tool? I’m completely open and committed to whatever you guys could suggest. I’ve read most of the pertinent posts from all of you and have found them extremely helpful. Any help or suggestions you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: A Desperate Plea to you MTT Pros

Read the Harrington on Hold 'Em series.

If you're looking to improve your results at lower stakes MTT's, I'd recommend shaundeeb, if he still 20-tables them or whatever.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:31 PM

Lol, the start of the post looks like hes gonna ask for money, then it is actually reasonable.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:44 PM

By NO MEANS am i asking for money lol. Just your help. You guys obviously know what your doing and I obviously don't. I have all the HoH books, and I'm in the process of rereading them now.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:48 PM

Also read the Anthology (stickied at the top of this forum).
Old 03-11-2007, 03:52 PM

I have also been wondering how necessary/useful Poker Tracker is for low level MTT's. I am a winning player now and make lots of notes on players while playing, but will PT give my game a boost?
Old 03-11-2007, 03:52 PM

Some rambling advice...

Read the anthology sticky atop the MTT forum page. There are many good strategy threads found within.

Post hands in the MTT forums and more importantly reply to the strategy threads, especially when you disagree with the advice being given. Embrace criticism. The times that I learn the most in the stratgy forums is when I am told that my logic is flawed.

The biggest key to improving your game is volume of tournaments played. Remember, there is no shame in playing low buy in tournaments; play the games that you think that you can beat.

Go to www.pokerstove.com and download the free software. I have learned a lot thinking about hand ranges instead of putting the villain on a specific hand.

A free HH converter can be found at http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php . Make sure the format is set to 2+2 forums.

Best of luck to you,
Steve
Old 03-11-2007, 03:56 PM

You can add theory and practice to the pack
Learn about ICM
re-read HoH II for all about your "M"
re-read HoH II
re-reah HoH II
Old 03-11-2007, 04:03 PM

And don't be "desperate", this game is supposed to be fun. Make sure it stays that way for you. Once you get desperate you don't think properly and make mistakes.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:09 PM

Thanks So Much For the enthusiastic responses all! I've browsed the anthology sticky, but i'll definately head back and go into more depth with them.