Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Recommend my next NL cash game book

I've been studying and playing NL cash Hold'em after a year or so of studying and playing Limit Hold'em. I'm waiting for Ed's new book, as well as the Harrington cash game book (is that even still planned?). While I'm waiting for those, I want to continue my study. And I'm going to let you guys recommend my next read.

So far I've read:

GSIH
HOH 1&2
NLH:T&P
SS 1
LGB & LBB
No Limit & Pot Limit
Mastering No Limit Hold'em
No Limit Hold'em: The Complete Course
Improve Your Poker
The Book of Blunders

What should I read next while I'm waiting for Ed & Dan's next books? I want books that aren't mostly Limit books and aren't mostly tournament books.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-24-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Recommend my next NL cash game book

are there any others? other than clothier/mcevoy series...

as i said in another thread, mcevoy/daugherty is o.k. and you can get it cheap used. alot is playing the power hands, less on drawing, but i thought it was good on the power hands.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:12 PM

if you get it used, sexton's book isn't bad...

i think 52 tips for no-limit is decent...
Old 01-24-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you get it used, sexton's book isn't bad...

i think 52 tips for no-limit is decent...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, anything has to be better than The Book of Blunders. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

But aren't 52 NL Tips for NL & the Sexton book both mostly tournament books?

I was thinking maybe Lindgren's book to help with my little ball, but isn't that also mostly a tournament book?

You're right, though. For NL cash, particularly low limit, capped buy-in games, there just isn't that much out there.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:45 PM

sexton's book is tournament and moderately fluffy..... probably a bad suggestion.

52 tips for no-limit i think is pretty much deep stack. i've read some of it so far... under-rated book i think. explains alot of stuff. nice easy read too. i would buy this book again over alot of other books i have.

lindgren's advanced advice is good, but there's so little of it. classic book to get from library or borrow from friend. i have so other more unethical ideas too. very flimsy book that is half filled with complete fluff, but it has probably the equivalent of 4-5 good cardplayer articles in the middle.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:04 PM

Thanks bruin. I'll pick up 52 Tips.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:40 PM

Phydaux,
I have been looking into some more books for the collection and I was wondering if you might compare the following three as far as usefulness to an intermediate player:

1. Ciaffone's PL/NL Book
2. Largay
3. Harker/Fox

Do any of them add stuff that's not in 2+2 books? Are any of them worth adding to a collection thats includes HoH, NLHTAP and the like?
Old 01-24-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Ciaffone's PL/NL Book
2. Largay
3. Harker/Fox

[/ QUOTE ]

people love ciaffone's book, but there are huge sections on non-hold'em which i have to admit i found a pain.. vague rumours he has another coming out.

largay's book is good... enjoying it more over time, although i find some of it inconsistent.

russell fox book is fairly simple and really only for extreme capped games. his style is basically power poker with premium hands. some good post-flop stuff. but not much on drawing cheaply (i'd argue that drawing to a set of 6's is pretty obvious, not much commentary needed).

basically, ciaffone is for deep, deep stacked (and others), largay is medium stack and fox is shorter stack. they're all decent but not indispensible either.... if ciaffone was more hold-em, it would be an amazing book.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:27 PM

There is a new and very good book out through john Vorhaus called," Killer Holdem by the Numbers". It is actually authored by another person but under the Killer poker umbrella.
This book teaches you how to do the math involved in solving probabilities in NL Holdem.
It is very good and by the end of the book you will know how to analyze situations on your own, and possibly be ready to absorb, Bill Chen's,"The Mathematics of Poker".
Johns books in the past have not impressed me much. This book is a must have for anyone with basic math skills that wants to learn how to take it to the next level. If you just
want to see the different out comes of the analysis, its there as well.
You will be using poker stove as well as calculating.
At $ 14.95 (borders) its a great deal. good luck
Old 01-24-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a new and very good book out through john Vorhaus called," Killer Holdem by the Numbers".

[/ QUOTE ]

"killer POKER......" as far as i can see...

how much is no-limit? i have a personal moratorium on limit books (and play, "i think")