Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: To Theists: An Interesting Agreement ...

Are you high school? And this is a serious question.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bunny, you seem to be mixing up and misinterpreting the significance of the link I posted...the link is from an early 19th Century legal authority who is speaking in very old fashioned English about how the evidence of the 4 Gospels would be interpreted and considered in a court of law in his day...since he was a recognized authority on legal evidence and wrote a treatise on it maybe he knows a thing or two about evidence/testimony that the average layman would not know....He essentially is expressing his evaluation (legal opinion) of the testimony of the 4 Disciples who rendered the 4 Gospels....

I can't and won't do the work for all of you...I'm only indicating some sources to consider...Trying to help widen your lens...

[/ QUOTE ]
Well thanks for the patronising explanation of my error. I will point out that your original thread wasnt to do with evaluating evidence. It was about "an interesting agreement between Napoleon Bonaparte and Simon Greenleaf, one of the principle founders of Harvard Law School, on the nature of Jesus Christ..." I've asked you a number of times any such agreement would be interesting, to which you eventually replied that I should read the link. So I did. It didnt explain why it was interesting and I still dont understand why anyone would think it was.

I also made a criticism of one argument in the link you posted which you didnt bother responding to - shall I write to the author?

You dont really understand why I post on SMP - I'm all for a wide sampling of views. I do expect people to provide some explanation of why they think as they do. What they think is not particularly interesting, no matter who they are.

I wont bother you any more with difficult questions - it must be very frustrating to watch me mix up and misinterpret the significance of all the links you post. Not quite sure how that leads to your policy of not explaining any of them and, when questioned, of merely suggesting I read them. Still, it's for my own good, hey?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bunny, you seem to be mixing up and misinterpreting the significance of the link I posted...the link is from an early 19th Century legal authority who is speaking in very old fashioned English about how the evidence of the 4 Gospels would be interpreted and considered in a court of law in his day...since he was a recognized authority on legal evidence and wrote a treatise on it maybe he knows a thing or two about evidence/testimony that the average layman would not know....He essentially is expressing his evaluation (legal opinion) of the testimony of the 4 Disciples who rendered the 4 Gospels....

I can't and won't do the work for all of you...I'm only indicating some sources to consider...Trying to help widen your lens...

[/ QUOTE ]

The four disciples you speak of did not author the gospels. They were written by unknown authors successively beginning about AD 70.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 PM

Have to disagree with you JustinA...if you think 12 guys left family, friends, professions to live and travel night and day for 2 to 3 years with Jesus then left the Gospel accounts to someone else then that is just not logical or even probable...Not to mention dying in his name...
Old 10-04-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have to disagree with you JustinA...if you think 12 guys left family, friends, professions to live and travel night and day for 2 to 3 years with Jesus then left the Gospel accounts to someone else then that is just not logical or even probable...Not to mention dying in his name...

[/ QUOTE ]

The disciples didn't have a choice but to "leave it to someone else". Most of them were long dead by the time the Gospels were written. This is pre-supposing that the disciples existed in the first place.

You really are an embarassment to your faith. You can't even get the basic facts right.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Splendour,

JustinA didn’t just throw out the 70AD date at random. The Gospel of Mark, which is chronologically the first gospel written, talks about the destruction of the Jewish Temple, which took place in 70 AD. Hence, the writer of Mark wrote his account sometime after 70 AD. By the time the Gospel of John was written, the Apostles of Jesus would have been long dead.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a matter of opinion.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If it were illogical you should be able to demonstrate to us why and how that is so. But you can't, why is that? It's because you are the one putting forward something devoid of logic. Assuming you care about the truth at all this should trouble you greatly.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:45 PM

Napoleon is one of the most aggressive leaders of a state ever. And he also spoke pretty well of Islam when he was in the whole Cairo mess.

Here are some other quotes from Napoleon on religion:

-"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet."
- "Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich"
- "All religions have been made by men. "
- "If I had to choose a religion, the sun as the universal giver of life would be my god. "
Old 10-03-2007, 08:40 PM

Never said Napoleon was a nice guy but many do believe he was a genius...And he did do at least one good thing in letting the Jews out of the ghettoes...

Also the quote I cited originally was from his St. Helena period...maybe losing everything changed his outlook...