Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: On Southwest Airlines new family boarding policy

There has to be a middle ground here. Having two small kids myself, its great to be able to get on board early and get the car seats set up. I also am a business traveller occassionally and I totally see the point of getting those people on an off the plane quickly.

Maybe they could create a family section towards the rear of the plane. They could let the families on first, but remind them to sit in the further back rows. I know that this doesnt coincide with the sit-anywhere theory, but at least its a better option than not letting families get on early.

One other consequence of not letting families get on first is that if the flight is full and they are in group C, there's a decent chance that they wouldnt be able to sit together. That is a terrible result as well, especially with small kids. Even if people offer to move around, it will still significantly slow the boarding process and piss people off in the meantime.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There has to be a middle ground here. Having two small kids myself, its great to be able to get on board early and get the car seats set up. I also am a business traveller occassionally and I totally see the point of getting those people on an off the plane quickly.

Maybe they could create a family section towards the rear of the plane. They could let the families on first, but remind them to sit in the further back rows. I know that this doesnt coincide with the sit-anywhere theory, but at least its a better option than not letting families get on early.

One other consequence of not letting families get on first is that if the flight is full and they are in group C, there's a decent chance that they wouldnt be able to sit together. That is a terrible result as well, especially with small kids. Even if people offer to move around, it will still significantly slow the boarding process and piss people off in the meantime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The people who are against it aren't thinking it through.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There has to be a middle ground here.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One other consequence of not letting families get on first is that if the flight is full and they are in group C, there's a decent chance that they wouldnt be able to sit together.

[/ QUOTE ]

ChipWrecked:
[ QUOTE ]
These families, if they don't have an 'A' pass, now board after the 'A' group.

[/ QUOTE ]

Families are still getting preferential treatment, just not most preferred status, a family with C or B is promoted to B+/A-. After the A group, the back of the plane is still wide open.

Southwest seems to have found your middle ground. I applaud their innovation.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We will not fly this airline again.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you aren't going to fly Southwest again, why do you care?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a quote from my comment on their blog post. Just giving the airline some feedback on their policy.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:30 PM

I don't really know what's going on here, but anything that segregates the kids and parents away from the normal people and/or stops them getting special treatment they have no right to, is a good thing imo.

The point about kicking quoted in your OP is a perfect example of stupid parents who don't think. One kid getting the front of the plane isn't going to make a difference to the kick ratio - but shuffling them to the back of the plane will definitely make a difference to the annoyance ratio experienced by normal people.

I say bravo.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
special treatment they have no right to

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

normal people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe the issue is about 'rights', it's merely the abolition of a courtesy the airline had extended to families who have a lot of baggage to handle (literally) when flying. We will vote with our feet and fly another airline where we will pick the assigned seats that will work best for us.

'Normal people'?

I think this phrase is indicative of the breeder hate engendered by the gay and lesbian political movement, that seems to have permeated management at SWA.
What the hell is abnormal about having a family?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

normal people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe the issue is about 'rights', it's merely the abolition of a courtesy the airline had extended to families who have a lot of baggage to handle (literally) when flying. We will vote with our feet and fly another airline where we will pick the assigned seats that will work best for us.

'Normal people'?

I think this phrase is indicative of the breeder hate engendered by the gay and lesbian political movement, that seems to have permeated management at SWA.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh wow, sorry. I just reread your OP...I realized that I called YOU the stupid parent.

[ QUOTE ]
My vent on their blog

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry about that...the comment just struck me as a random asinine parent trying to score cheap points against the airline. You're neither neither random nor asinine so I was wrong on that...apologies. I'm going to post in the "putting your foot in it" thread now. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

normal people.

[/ QUOTE ]

'Normal people'?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh wow, sorry. I just reread your OP...I realized that I called YOU the stupid parent.

[ QUOTE ]
My vent on their blog

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry about that...the comment just struck me as a random asinine parent trying to score cheap points against the airline. You're neither neither random nor asinine so I was wrong on that...apologies. I'm going to post in the "putting your foot in it" thread now. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

NP brah.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:50 PM

what the hell? Get riled up much? This isn't really a huge deal is it??? I mean...wow.

To put it in perspective, a month ago they tried to KICK A GIRL OFF THE FLIGHT FOR WEARING SHORT SHORTS under the pretext that SW is a "family airline".
Old 10-12-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what the hell? Get riled up much? This isn't really a huge deal is it??? I mean...wow.

To put it in perspective, a month ago they tried to KICK A GIRL OFF THE FLIGHT FOR WEARING SHORT SHORTS under the pretext that SW is a "family airline".

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, yeah, perspective.

Southwest seems to be on a mission to piss off as many customers as it can.

Family with small kids? [censored] you.

Fatty? [censored] you.

Short skirt? [censored] you.

I also recall an episode of 'Airline' on A&E where a ticket agent for SWA demanded a birth certificate proving an infant was under 2 years old.

I'm not riled, I'm just done with this airline.

Southwest Airlines (our new motto): if you're not a thin white guy with a carryon and a laptop, go [censored] yourself.