Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 01:19 AM

Default [200NL] Extracting Value

No info on villain, first time playing him and I just sat down. Everything standard until the turn. I have no idea what his 3bet calling range is. At this point (the turn) I don't want to represent JJ+ and get him off a weaker hand, get him to throw away his T9 or TT or whatever he might float with. I also think it makes me look weak which will lead him to bluff the river w/ air or value bet a medium strength hand for value, both of which I can checkraise allin (unless river comes 7 or 8) and get max value in both instances. As it plays out, he passes on the river and I don't get him to stack off where it appears I may have if he would've continued on the turn with J9. What do you think of this line? Am I more likely to see a greater return just betting the turn or repping weakness going into the river? P.S. I probably would have just had to call any river bet here given OESD on board.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $6</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $23</font>, 2 folds, CO calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($49, 2 players)
CO checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $32</font>, CO calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($113, 2 players)
CO checks, Hero checks.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($113, 2 players)
CO checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $78</font>, CO calls.

Results:
Final pot: $269

EDIT: Hero: $197, Villain: $254 to start the hand.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:21 AM

Default Re: [200NL] Extracting Value

nh, perfectly played IMO
Old 11-19-2007, 01:24 AM

Stack sizes would be handy
But against unknown I just keep betting. I only try something like this if I have a lot of history and have a lot of meta game going here, in this case you don't so betbetbet
Old 11-19-2007, 01:26 AM

Duh, sorry will edit. I had $197 he had me covered.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stack sizes would be handy
But against unknown I just keep betting. I only try something like this if I have a lot of history and have a lot of meta game going here, in this case you don't so betbetbet

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, if I dont have any stats or reads on them, I just assume they are some sucky fish until they show me otherwise. So I just keep betting so he can keep calling. These are the kind of boards I never double barrel when I don't have it, cuz they always call, so I make sure and bet them when I do have it, cuz they always call. But I definitely see the merits for playing it your way, but its something I would wait and do against someone I play with more often or had reads on.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:31 AM

It really looks like villain has garbage here (T9,88,77,AK,AQ, etc). I think you're lucky to get one street of value here, and I think that is best accomplished by checking the turn as you did. And not that it matters, but it saves you some $ if he is slowplaying 78 99 66.

I can certainly see the argument for bet bet bet, and I'd probably take that line too depending on my read.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:44 AM

Ok, after seeing the stack sizes I still think betbetbet is better but if you are going to take this line. I much prefer you to pot the flop, that way on the river pot size will be about 150 and you have 123 behind so you get to make less then a psb to stack him and stacking him is all I am interested in doing here.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:50 AM

bet 60 on the turn.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bet 60 on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and I think this is being results oriented b/c this river could hit a lot of the deck and make it a scare card for him imo.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:53 AM

Too much of the deck is scary for him. Any A, K, Q, and sometimes J will scare the [censored] out of him, as will a lot of the low cards. He could easily have a pair + gs, in which case he will call a turn bet but fold to a bunch of river cards. Bet the turn.