Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 08:34 PM

Default TP on prd flop (short handed)

.5/1 4 players
UTG is 69.91/14.6/.75. His stats pretty much tell the story.
Don't have much on BTN, seems loose and kinda passive.
BB is 21.85/11.26/2.73, can't recall him doing anything out of line.

Hero is in SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG calls, BTN calls, Hero calls, BB raises, everyone calls.

Flop (8 SB): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 players
Hero checks, BB bets, UTG calls, BTN calls, Hero calls.

Turn (6 BB): 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 players
Hero bets, BB raises, UTG folds, BTN calls, Hero calls.

I donked the turn because if BB had AK or something, I didn't want to risk the street getting checked through. Not really sure about that reasoning.

River (12 BB): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, BTN bets, Hero?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: TP on prd flop (short handed)

I would call hoping no one had a four
Old 08-03-2007, 08:59 PM

Hero calls the river. I donk the turn as well for the same reason of not wanting it to be check through. However, with BB raising again, I think that skews his range to one of three hands: pocket pairs bigger than 66 likely 88/99 or higher, AJ/KJ, or two big spades that he's semi-bluffing. With it being weighted more towards the first two. You aren't ahead of JJ+, but are ahead of the AJ/KJ and smaller pocket pairs.

I think that since you were raised and then called that raise on the turn, it's because you think you're ahead often enough to take this to showdown (you don't have odds for a 4 outer), unless perhaps an ace comes on the river. Button calling may not be a good thing, but if he's loose, he could have a lot of hands that are behind you.

On the river, BB seems to give up, so I'm no longer concerned about him. A passive Button betting is somewhat scary, but you and BB both did show weakness, so he may have Jx here in additon to a lot of other hands. But if you called the turn wanting to take it to showdown for one bet, you're still getting that chance, so I'd call and take it. With Button being passive, and BB probably actually having a weak hand, I don't want to raise, although if 3-bet, I think you have an easy fold.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:00 PM

I would fold the flop as played: on guy bets on this flop and gets two callers. Just give up (RIO).

Another possible line is donking this flop and then evaluating what the do next, depening on the action.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:15 PM

flop hero leads for value. this jams up any cbet from a missed AQ/AK/AT that sort of thing and any raise from opponents behind you gives you a feel for where you're at.

turn is a bet/call, river is a check/call

if button is that passive then you just got slowplayed, make a note and move on
Old 08-03-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold the flop as played: on guy bets on this flop and gets two callers. Just give up (RIO).

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. This is not an RIO situation. You're getting 11:1 here and you have top pair, a possible winner.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:18 PM

Nice post NIX
Old 08-04-2007, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero calls the river. I donk the turn as well for the same reason of not wanting it to be check through. However, with BB raising again, I think that skews his range to one of three hands: pocket pairs bigger than 66 likely 88/99 or higher, AJ/KJ, or two big spades that he's semi-bluffing. With it being weighted more towards the first two. You aren't ahead of JJ+, but are ahead of the AJ/KJ and smaller pocket pairs.

I think that since you were raised and then called that raise on the turn, it's because you think you're ahead often enough to take this to showdown (you don't have odds for a 4 outer), unless perhaps an ace comes on the river. Button calling may not be a good thing, but if he's loose, he could have a lot of hands that are behind you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think that the play after BB raises the turn is the crucial point in this hand. I don't think he's semi-bluffing, the question is how often is this 88-TT and possibly AJs versus how often is this JJ+. I didn't have a specific read to suggest he would be unlikely to raise with an underpair and I was multi-tabling so called and hoped for the best. As it turns out BB had QQ, BTN had J9o. I don't think I could have folded the river though. Nice analysis Nix.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call hoping no one had a four

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a 4 is something we should be particularly worried about. BB's range has no 4s, and if BTN had one, we'd probably have heard it about on the turn.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. This is not an RIO situation. You're getting 11:1 here and you have top pair, a possible winner.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is certainly an RIO situation, but the pot odds are indeed quite good so you could argue that a call on the flop is right.