Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 10:25 AM

Default set 88 river scary board 50NL

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($52.25)
Button ($33.35)
SB ($50.05)
BB ($11.50)
UTG ($34.70)
Hero ($46.15)
MP1 ($21.95)
MP2 ($55.20)
MP3 ($65.45)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $4</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, CO calls $6.

Turn: ($22.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $11.5</font>, CO calls $11.50.

River: ($45.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $23.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $24.15</font>, CO calls $0.64.

Final Pot: $93.80

Villain just joined the table so I don't know anything about him. Do you like my play on river or should I push? I considered that he might not call me without a king or 9 here so I figured maybe I can let him bluff. Even if he checks I didn't miss a lot of value. Now I consider pushing might be better since he probably calls me at this limit with two pair and stuff like that.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:07 AM

Default Re: set 88 river scary board 50NL

this is pretty sick. best play was on the flop. bet more on the turn or just check it through. there are so many draws out there that you're going to have to boat up to feel confident about your hand. check the turn, or bet out more. if you bet out more, river would be easier to call.

i don't see how you can possibly be good here. i don't think it's worth the call.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:21 AM

Call the raise on the flop. c/c the turn. Block at the river. Fold on the river to a raise.

That's a pretty weak line, but it allows worse hands to bet, gives you a shot to fill up by the river, and manages to keep the pot relatively small.

Villain could easily have a straight, 2-pair, combo-draw, higher set. So, I think I'd play cautiously from villain's flop raise on.

Turn gives a possible flush. River now gives any Kx hand a straight. Both cards are bad for you.

I really don't like the turn bet. C/c to see if you fill up looks better to me. 2-pair might bet, as might a single club hand, as might better hands, so let him bet.

As played, once you reraise his raise on the flop, then you lead the turn, then you are just about pot-committed despite that terrible river card.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:24 AM

I wouldn't make a habit of playing better players at higher levels like this.

Flop is ok, I think I personally 3 bet to about $14-15, then check fold turn and/or river.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:29 PM

Isn't it a sin to give a free card if he is on a draw on the flop? I think I am actually ahead on the flop a lot here because people semibluff so you have to make him pay to draw (tell me if this is wrong thinking).

Turn might make a check call and check fold river?

At these stakes, players are usually terrible so jhill, I don't get what you actually meant by your line that you would not play better players.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:57 PM

ugh what are you doing on the river
raise the flop more, like 15
Old 05-04-2007, 07:43 PM

What an ugly flop to get a set of eights on, what is the way CO plays hands like TT and JJ; prefers to limp those ones? Normally with just one player in i would say him raise so you are presumbably ahead on the flop (behind 97 though and the unlikely Q9), that means you have to get the money out early, every next card can scary the hell out of you. I would reraise the flop to 14-16 to put him under pressure and i wouldn't mind winning the pot right now.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:08 PM

Why are some ppl advocating a turn check??

I usually c/f river. A blocking bet might also be an option.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it a sin to give a free card if he is on a draw on the flop? I think I am actually ahead on the flop a lot here because people semibluff so you have to make him pay to draw (tell me if this is wrong thinking).

Turn might make a check call and check fold river?

At these stakes, players are usually terrible so jhill, I don't get what you actually meant by your line that you would not play better players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant I would never bet a set on that board on the river against a decent player. A worse hand will never call you, and better hand will never fold.

I understand that players are terrible at those levels, but you can really get yourself into some bad habits. I play much worse at that level than NL200, just because I can never give anyone credit for what they are representing, because most of the time they don't know what they are repping or how strong their hand actually is.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:29 AM

Raise flop closer to pot, as played check-call turn, as played check-fold river I think... but river is close, all 3 options (shove, c/c, c/f) are possible.