Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Tom Snyder passes away

wow. I screwed up than vs then and THAN forgot to correct it.
OMGZZZ I just did it againzzzzz!!!!!!

In other news, I just commented on some poster who referred to the "authers" of the new no-limit book so it's all part of the LOL Grammarments!! karma universe I guess.

Ron Burgandy - I'm only 36. I actually don't remember the old Tom Snyder Tomorrow show of the 70's but have seen clips. I liked his show from the 90's and it was THEN that I learned he did the other show way back then.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:11 PM

I used to watch him on his later show. He had a couple of classic talk show moments. I remember seeing the old show when he had Meatloaf on the show just as Bat Out Of Hell became big. Tom had no clue. He goes, "And now my next guest..... Meatball." And I think he called him Meatball for about half the interview.

Also, on the later show he once had Shatner, going on about his horseriding, his shows, and just being his usual blowhard self. At the end of the interview Tom goes, "I'll bring out my next guest as soon we check to see if there is enough air in the room now that Shatner's gone."

Too bad he's gone, I always thought he was pretty good.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:21 PM

Wow I'm deeply saddened by this. I used to love seeing him on late night and missed him when his show was replaced.

On a weird note, both he and Tom Walsh died from leukemia, Walsh passed away this afternoon.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:33 PM

Bizarre, but probably great. Miserable Lydon with a guffawing Snyder has to be a must see.

Amazon.com
"May I say, Kim," Tom Snyder says to a heavily made-up Kim Fowley, "You look ridiculous tonight." So begins one of late night television's more bizarre interviews. Spanning the musically volatile years from 1977-1981, these eight Tomorrow Show episodes all focus on the burgeoning punk/new wave movement. To his credit, Snyder doesn't pretend to like or even understand it, but nor does he criticize (although he does chuckle on occasion). Mostly, he lets the musicians speak for themselves and play a few tunes. All the while, he looks thoroughly bemused, comfortably enveloped in a nimbus cloud of cigarette smoke--along with a few of his guests, like a soft-spoken Paul Weller (the Jam) and surly John Lydon (Public Image Limited). Other participants include Elvis Costello, Iggy Pop, the Plasmatics, the Ramones, Patti Smith, and Joan Jett (circa the Runaways, who were produced by Fowley). Smith, Jett, and Lydon, joined by PiL band mate Keith Levene, do not perform. The rest do. The Plasmatics make the most of the opportunity with "Master Plan," during which Wendy O. Williams spray-paints, smashes the windows, and then blows up a car. Other notable numbers include Pop's "Five Foot One" and the Jam's "Pretty Green." Because these programs are shown in their entirety, several non-musical guests, like Frank Capra and Ricky Schroeder, also put in appearances (and to Joey Ramone's chagrin, Kelly Lang is the fill-in for Snyder during the Ramones segment). --Kathleen C. Fennessy
Old 07-30-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I remember him from his years with Twisted Sister.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's Dee Snyder......or am I being leveled?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 07-30-2007, 06:37 PM

I'm 28 and know who Tom Snyder is. He's that guy who had a show that got taken over by Crain Kilborn, than years later, he died.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:39 PM

Hamish - a lot of his punk-rock interviews including a 1-minute promotional spot for all of them can be found on youtube. Some pretty interesting stuff.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:47 PM

If you've seen some of the SNL from back when Ackroyd was on it, he did a pretty funny Tom Snyder. Jane Curtin played his mom on one skit, and they had a painfully awkward family moment that poked fun and just how ungainly Snyder was socially.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:52 PM

I seem to remember some SNL skit or some other program where the Tom Snyder impersonator was talking randomly about "do you like oreo's. Call me crazy but I just can't enough of them. Har har har." or something like that. It was so off-topic the guest was left totally confused IIRC.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:56 PM

Evidently Aykroyd and others impersonated him several times on SNL.

This site lists 14 times they did Snyder.

http://snl.jt.org/imp.php?i=2340

I think this is the transcript of one of the first time he did the impersonation:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/76/mgrastomorrow.phtml