Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 01:35 PM

Default (100NL) Shorthanded strategy

Hello, this is my first time posting here, so please forgive me if I don't use all the normal conventions.

I play mainly 100NL 6-max cash games and do fairly well - game selection is usually a big concern for me, but sometimes I find myself in an unusual situation.

Generally I play TAG out of position and loosen up in the CO and button and raise with a large variety of hands. If I get an out-of position caller, and it's checked to me, I most often make a standard 1/2-2/3rds pot c-bet unless I have a decent draw and wish to take off a free card offered to me.

What I'm not sure of how to handle is a situation where a caller will frequently lead out into me. If I've missed the flop (and have no viable draws) should I just be releasing hands or is it "weak" to give up hands so quickly. I would think if I am folding in a lot of spots where it's led out into me a savvy player is going to pick that up and exploit it. I'm just maybe a bit gunshy about raising or committing more chips just to take a stand when I'm holding air.

Any advice on these situations?

*edit* Ooh, it's not actually my first time posting here - made the odd reply here and there in the past week as I browse here more [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: (100NL) Shorthanded strategy

Here are a couple recent hands discussing this type of situation:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post8825573

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post8820508
Old 01-19-2007, 01:58 PM

White those posts dont cover what he is asking. He's asking about when he is donked into and has completely missed the flop.

These situations are tough, and are very read dependent. Your history with the opponent obviously also very important. Folding the first time (provided its a solid sized bet) is ok, but if the same opponent tries it a couple more time, I am always tempted to attempt to float, or just raise.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:04 PM

Thanks for both replies, I did read the 2 threads White posted and the second one does come up sometimes, when I have flopped a draw but been led into - most of the time if it's checked to me and I have that draw I c-bet anyway, but when it's bet into me I'm often not sure if I should be raising or folding (calling seems wrong because more often than not I'm not getting correct odds).

I'll try to make my decisions situation-dependent based on reads and prior plays in the future.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:04 PM

I think it largely depends on the texture of the flop, your opponents, and what they think about you. If the flop comes AQ5 (for example) and a good player leads into your pf raise - be careful. Good players often make this play against aggressive pf raisers hoping that their flop bets get raised (when they are holding a set or two pair).

That said, much of the time these flop bets are characteristic of someone trying to steal with a marginal hand (or draw), hoping that you missed the flop. These marginal hands typically cannot take the pressure of a raise. As such you should vary your play, perhaps calling 1/3 of the time, folding 1/3 of the time, and raising a 1/3 of the time, again depending on the players and the flop. When you call you are looking to improve or be given an opportunity (by a scare card) to take the pot with a turn or river bet.

Lucky
Old 01-19-2007, 02:08 PM

Alot of the time pplz r doing this for 'information' with marginal hands, so i give them their information and raise the [censored] out of it with any2. Usually they fold, but if not, who cares, u got position so u can take it down on the turn wen the scare card hits.

This is wen pplz lead out for like 30%-50% of the pot btw, i usually fold to PSB, although occasionally ill make a play.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but when it's bet into me I'm often not sure if I should be raising or folding (calling seems wrong because more often than not I'm not getting correct odds).

[/ QUOTE ]

Alot of the time ull b calling in hope of taking it down on a later street, so dont just think 'am i getting correct odds to call with my hand', also think 'can i take this down uncontested later on in the hand'
Old 01-19-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when I have flopped a draw but been led into - most of the time if it's checked to me and I have that draw I c-bet anyway, but when it's bet into me I'm often not sure if I should be raising or folding (calling seems wrong because more often than not I'm not getting correct odds).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have flopped a draw and are lead into, I would definitely raise because

A) He might fold and you can win it right there
or
B) He calls, and you can still hit your draw.

If you do hit your draw, since you raised the pot will now be quite a bit larger and it should be easier to get paid.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:29 PM

Also, if you have completely missed and are bet into like that, I would usually fold it the first time. If he continues making these donkbets, I will surely start raising, even with nothing. However, if he starts consistently calling these raises, then I will wait until I've hit the flop.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:32 PM

One of my favorite plays is when an OOP under-bluebets a coordinated non-Ace-high flop. I raise strongly every time. He is usually on either a marginal hand or a marginal draw.

When he is on one of those hands, most people will fold to the flop raise. Some will call it. Against those people I'll 2nd barrel, again strongly. Big profit machine when they then fold on the turn and punch themselves in the gut for being such a fish. A few people will call even that with a marginal made hand. Fortunately these people are often also passive, so when you value-block the river against them, they will always call with hands you beat, and only raise when they beat you.

Take caution when the pot is not heads-up however. Everything is exponentially more complex then.