Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 04:08 AM

Default From NL to Limit. Is it worth it for both?

Hey guys, here's some background. I used to play strictly 2/5 NL here in Vegas when that was the main entry NL game back in 03/04/early 05. Mirage and Palms were my homes of choice, with a couple times at the Bellagio's 200min/max (but that's another story why I stopped going).

Back then, the 2/5 was 100-500 at Palms and 100-300 at Mirage. The games were alwasy great. 4 games most days at the Palms with upwards of 50-70 on the wait lists on weekends. The Mirage would run individual games along the rail, usually 3-4 games with good lists at all times. I never saw the insane daisy chain must move system till the 1/2's started taking over this room. Anyways, the games were great, lots of novices watching from the rails and entering the games when they see all the gambling going on. I carried a $30/hour winrate over this time. I can't remember the amount of hours, but it was around 1k. Then the 1/2's with the 40-100 buy ins showed up and poof, there went the 2/5 games. There are some, but the buy ins make them insanely deep stacked (vs the Cali games) with the 1k and up max buy ins or even uncapped. This, imo, hasn't helped the games at all as the good players got all the money quicker and the fish either busted out or got sick of it quickly and went down to the 1/2 games.

After awhile, I went back to playing limit (started with stud limit years ago) and have progressed to where I can play 15/30 competently, but not often enough (outside of the B) where I can get games regularly. I consistantly beat 8/16 and 10/20 without a problem since probably when Wynn opened (first place I plaid 8/16). I enjoy limit imensely. I can play lagtard style or tight/rockish depending on the game and know where I'm at in the hand better than 9/10 times. IMO, I've gotten very good at squeezing extra bets out of hands that most people have no idea how to play post flop as well as saving bets where quite a few would be relegated to call down with "Just because of the pot size" even though they're 100% dead anyways.

I really don't enjoy playing 1/2(1/3) NL whatsoever. Is it really worth it to try to re-learn to play the new deep stack 2/5 games considering there aren't a ton of them around anymore? I'm definately not rolled to go to 5/10 nor do I have any interest in that game in the foreseeable future. I really miss being able to play any form of Stud on a regular basis for any meaningful amount of $ (without going back to the coluders on the net) and yes, I know the 20 at the B is quite a miserable game to say the least.

I know I could beat the games 4 years ago, but they have changed quite a bit and I know I'm out of the loop with my strats. I have no idea if I could compentently play both games for profit well enough to try to play both L and NL.

Thoughts, theories on the matter?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Re: From NL to Limit. Is it worth it for both?

play a ton of hands online and i gotta think you will crush any live game.

i played some small buyin nl game at turning stone and saw a 6 way allin pf!!!!! so ya dats pruuf.

also, ive been playin nl for 2 monthes and vegas 5/10 is ridic soft.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:00 PM

I have no idea what the above poster just said.

I had a mod move this to a more appropriate forum.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:04 PM

I presume you do not play full time for a living?

If you don't - I highly suggest playing the game that is both profitable and enjoyable for you.....limit. Based on your OP, there's no point in you playing NL....you won't have fun and what's the point in having a hobby you hate?
Old 09-20-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I presume you do not play full time for a living?[ QUOTE ]

Nope, and I dont think I could see myself doing so.

[ QUOTE ]

If you don't - I highly suggest playing the game that is both profitable and enjoyable for you.....limit. Based on your OP, there's no point in you playing NL....you won't have fun and what's the point in having a hobby you hate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, thank you for the insight [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I used to love no limit a few years ago but for some reason I began to detest the preflop game that NL has become at the levels that are readily available. Hence why limit has such an appeal to me, the postflop decisions with selective aggression really intrigue me.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:13 PM

Yea, sounds like you should just play limit since that's what you enjoy more. It's really not that hard to find games. Wynn pretty much always has at least one 8/16 and 15/30 and Mirage is supposed to be good on the weekends, though I never play there.

People say that it's hard to find limit games but it's really no different from NL. How many rooms have a regular 5/10NL? Two? 1/2NL may be easy to find, but so is 4/8.