Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Playing Too Tight?

(Assume the play is 9-10 handed and I am above 20x the BB)

I mostly play in tournament formats and I'm a very tight player. I'll raise with 77-KK, AJ-AK and if it's a table that likes to see flops I'll raise with Aces. My limp hand selection is basically ace-rag suited and low pairs. Because of this, I build up a very tight image at the table. However, if I'm not getting hands, I often improvise and am able to take pots with absolutely nothing solely based on my image. That's probably the biggest thing my play has to offer, I can make good with the cards I'm dealt. If (when [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) I get knocked out, I almost always got my money in with the best hand unless I was a short stack and ran into a bigger hand (so many times I've gotten like pocket 9s as a short stack and have been called by pocket Queens). I also have no trouble getting rid of hands such as Kings if I'm convinced I'm beat. Basically, I just want to know if I should loosen up and if that would give me a better chance at tournaments.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Playing Too Tight?

Depends a lot on the stakes you are playing.

If you are playing microstakes, a TAG style is very good, or even just playing ABC poker.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:14 AM

Can't really tell you much of an answer regarding to that tourney question, but I think that the general consensus is to see more flops cheap when the blinds are still low.
As to being too tight, I don't really think so. Maybe take table position into account too and play a lil (just a lil) looser when in position.
btw I found that I was consistently picking the wrong tables to play at (cash games) when people always folded to my preflop raises. I got about 2.5k hands never seing a flop, everybody always folding to preflop raises and this was NL10 and not even regs that would know or have a good guess at my raising range.
Then moved to very loose tables mostly inhabited by short stacks. Those will pay ya off good most of the time, but you gotta stand the occasional bad beat and suck out.

Hope this helps you a lil bit.

good day
timo
Old 08-31-2007, 05:06 AM

This style is perfect for playing 10nl ring games.

3-4 tables