Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 04:00 PM

Default steal raise - 10/20

Villain is 30VPIP/15PFR/33SD
He has raised the last 3 rounds from MP when folded to him.
I R here to try and make a play.
Villain usually raises TP on the flop so I figure he doesn't have top pair here. However, I think the river is maybe a check/fold unless he was on a draw.
Line thoughts?
I could also have called the flop and raised the turn.

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $10/$20
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
5 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls <font color="aaaaaa">(3.5:1)</font>.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4.5SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>
Old 05-08-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: steal raise - 10/20

umm, if he was calling you with the J the whole way, he'll call here. And if he's calling you with a draw the whole way, that draw probably hits with the 9. I dunno. I guess I like betting more then check/calling. But I'm really leaning towards check/folding the river.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:05 PM

this is a baddddddddd board for this

if you want to make a stand maybe 3-bet pf.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:47 PM

ugly spot to try to c/r that flop
make it like 5c K 6 and its an okay
but too many raising hands connect with that KJ
c/c flop and raising that turn is total spew
what ru trying to represent here
if you really had a K or two pair
why wouldnt you line be c/r the flop
it just doesnt look good at all
if you 3bet pf i could see a line like
cb on the flop then c/r the turn to show more oomph
and with that line you could represent a big hand
like a set of kings or such but the line you took
theres just no good way about it c/f that flop
and be done with it hope this helps
Old 05-08-2007, 09:47 PM

nothing wrong with call pre flop and check fold on the flop either. mike caro says to find excuses to fold early and find excuses to call on the river. nothing wrong with laying down to a guy u know is ripping away at the game. just steal back when u got position on other opponents. personally, i dont like the idea of "making a stand" against bullies. it kind of implies an ego thing that can lead to tilt. just my opinion.

if u really r getting sick of the guy and u want to play back, then play it like texaslimitking. 3 bet him pre flop. bet the flop, bet the turn, check the river and if he bets, RAISE HIM!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:50 PM

?

playing back for the sake
of playing back is just moronic
there are spots to play back in
this just isnt one of them

[ QUOTE ]

if u really r getting sick of the guy and u want to play back, then play it like texaslimitking. 3 bet him pre flop. bet the flop, bet the turn, check the river and if he bets, RAISE HIM!

[/ QUOTE ]

and to follow any line for
no logical reason is also moronic
Old 05-08-2007, 10:16 PM

nothing moranic about playing back at someone u know is a position raiser. why dont u read the thread closer rude boy. hero wasnt making a play for the sake of it. i dont like the play either but the guy decided to make a play. i can think of a lot of reasons why i dont like it and alot of reasons why i think it was an ok play too. its just another hand in a long poker session. at least its a mistake on making a play and not paying someone off when u know yur beat. now thats moranic
Old 05-08-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nothing moranic about playing back at someone u know is a position raiser. why dont u read the thread closer rude boy. hero wasnt making a play for the sake of it. i dont like the play either but the guy decided to make a play. i can think of a lot of reasons why i dont like it and alot of reasons why i think it was an ok play too. its just another hand in a long poker session. at least its a mistake on making a play and not paying someone off when u know yur beat. now thats moranic

[/ QUOTE ]

dude seriously i think you need to read it closer
look the point im trying to express
you cant just make illogical plays
if he believes villian is raising light
then Ac4c should be 3bet preflop
because it is ahead of a good portion of his range
but since he just called preflop
its a terrible spot to play it postflop
in the way in which he did
c/f flop and find a better spot
think of it as writing a story
that you are trying to show to your opponent
if the story doesnt make sense
the "play" is not gonna work
with a 3bet preflop
he couldve played this hand differently
but he didnt so it should just be a fold
if the flop came ragged like i suggested
earlier with two bricks and one high card
it would be a much more profitable spot
to c/r and take it from there
but it wasnt like that at all
so just fold and be done with it
Old 05-08-2007, 11:30 PM

i hear ya bro. like i said in the beginning, nothing wrong with calling pre flop and check folding. thats the way i would have played it normally.

i just dont care for the moronic statement because no one in this thread is stating anything moranic. sometimes plays r made even if it isnt in the best spot. i cant tell u how many times ive made plays into the wrong board and they work too.

let me tell u a little 20/40 story about "making a play". under the gun raises. he's kind of a frequent raiser. i'm in middle position with ??. I DONT WANT TO SAY. I WANT ANYONE WHO IS READING THIS TO GUESS MY HAND. i make it 3 bets. the small blind calls and she knows i have a tight reputation. utg calls. we go 3 handed. the flop comes 445 with two hearts. they check, i bet, sb calls, utg raises, i reraise, sb calls 2 more bets cold and utg caps it. i call and sb calls. the turn is a blank 9. they check! now i know what utg has but i'm not quite sure what sb has but i know she is weak. i bet, they call. river is a 5. the board is 4 4 5 9 5 rainbow. they check, i bet, sb calls. HMMMMM??? i must have misread her hand. she must have pocket tens or something. i could have sworn she was weak but oh well, who cares. now, utg thinks think think think think thinks. i know he has ace x of hearts and ace high on a paired board is awfully tempting to call, but the way i played my hand, there is no way he can think ace high is any good. he folds. show down time, i PROUDLY show ?? and she shows ace queen high. my read was right, she was weak. how could she stand that much heat from flop to river.

now, guess my hand. there is a point to this story.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i just dont care for the moronic

[/ QUOTE ]

Take it easy, guys. I think someone's irony detector broke a couple of posts back and there's a misunderstanding going on here.

[ QUOTE ]

let me tell u a little 20/40 story about "making a play". under the gun raises. he's kind of a frequent raiser. i'm in middle position with ??. I DONT WANT TO SAY. I WANT ANYONE WHO IS READING THIS TO GUESS MY HAND. (...hero bets as much as he can on every round...) the board is 4 4 5 9 5 rainbow.... i PROUDLY show ?? and she shows ace queen high. my read was right, she was weak. how could she stand that much heat from flop to river.

now, guess my hand. there is a point to this story.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had 4 4, I like the story.