Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Weird line by villain (NLTRN)

This is from a $55 on Stars. Villain seemed to call cbets fairly light. I had the impression that he is the floaty type who likes to call cbets w nothing and see if he can take it down later. Once he called a cbet on a Q66r board w K7 and checked it down. Does anyone check the turn behind? What kinds of hands do you put him on after his river donk and do you think about calling?

Poker Stars, $55 + $2.50 NL Hold'em Tournament, 10/20 Blinds, 2 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): 1,500
BB: 1,500

Pre-Flop: (30) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
<font color="red">Hero raises to 60</font>, BB calls 40

Flop: (120) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets 80</font>, BB calls 80

Turn: (280) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets 160</font>, BB calls 160

River: (600) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets 240</font>
Old 11-20-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Weird line by villain (NLTRN)

Calling a cbet light is one thing, calling 2 barrels on a board like this and block/value the river generally means 3rd pair is beat.

I wouldn't say this line is that weird, it's semi common and the most frequent holding I see in this spot is a J or very weak K (depending on the type of player). You will see a lot of other hands including straights and flushes from time to time, but I think a big part of most player's ranges with these types of lines are weak top pair or 2nd pair hands that they aren't positive are ahead of you but are sure enough to throw out a weak value bet.

It makes it tough to do anything here often times because a lot of villains will call your raise on this river, basically they're not going anywhere regardless of how bad the play probably is on their part.

If villain is calling cbets really light I'm probably not cbetting on this board, especially if villain is passive enough to check a lot of hands down. Check behind flop, and bet the turn if checked to is a pretty good line vs a lot of players like the one you describe here. You're in position and he should call the turn super light in that scenario (gutshots, fds, etc.) and many villains check rivers that they hit when calling light, so their implied odds are [censored], making a turn call even worse by them and a turn bet by you even more valuable.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Weird line by villain (NLTRN)

Doesn't look that weird to me. He is just checking it down blocking to keep you from pounding the river. I'd bet it's a decent jack (JT, JQ) or king with kicker trouble, possibly a middle pp that wants to showdown (your only hope).

If you play std, the flop hit a good portion of your range and he's oop so happy to keep the pot small. But he has enough to call you down and block the river.

I'm not sure how aggressive you are with top pair or better, but this wasn't played very strong at all. Looks like a whiffed flop and a half-hearted follow up or a weak piece of it. Not a strong hand looking for value. He's not looking for you to fold, he wants you to pay him off or outkick him for cheap. You have almost no FE if you raise this river. I lol if you flip the 9 here, and definitely float and call you light all night. Call for metagame and adjust. Hope he writes something like 'donk: bets 2 streets and calls with 3rd pair.'