Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-11-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Playing bad bugs me ALOT

It's not the bad beats that send me on super-monkey tilt. But it's whenever I lose a buy-in because of a way I play a hand. I instantly get sort of angry and try to win back what I loss right then. Every session there are probably at least 3-5 hands where I play bad it seems in the last week, during which I have dropped about six buy-ins. And it is really frustrating. Anyone know how to deal with this?

Oh, by the way, this is at NL5 and NL10 and I post in the micro stakes forums alot.

Edit: I guess another way to explain how I feel is that I'm not improving.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Playing bad bugs me ALOT

same exact thing here. i dont even blink twice at bad beats, but if i make a bad call it pisses me the [censored] off. i usually just yell the F word out REALLY loud, and if im still mad after that i take a 15 minute smoke break or walk.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:47 PM

Make a note and review the hands you played poorly after the session.
Also, if you think the calls are ones you should know better
than to make then it seems you are suffering from a form of tilt already by not playing up to par.
Maybe your playing too long and need a break?
Maybe something is distracting you?

Anyway, getting yourself to not only understand what a bad play is but be able to recognize it and act accordingly in the heat of the moment is very much a skill in itself and takes time to improve.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:42 PM

Yeah I've already started keeping a word document of every poorly played hand I have (getting pretty large), and I write down everything that I messed up in each street. Pretty exhausting but it'll be well worth it.

It's just frustrating that after a few weeks of doing this, I still manage to make mistakes in every hand because I can not seem to analyze most situations correctly.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:35 PM

i'm immune against tilting off of "bad beats"(btw i dont believe in bad beats since i believe there is no luck in poker-100% skill 0% luck).

however playing a hand badly really gets under my skin, restless nights and all. it pains me to play a hand in a -EV way because i know i dont win woney that way. at least with the "bad beats" i know i make money in the long run and that is all that matters to me.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:42 PM

Bad beats make me lose it.
If I play bad, I know what I did - I won't do it again. If I play the perfect game (I play sngs)and lose I want to bite someone. If some moron does something unbelievably stupid and sucks out to boot me on the bubble, I lose it. Especially if I've been shortstack and brought myself back to where I have a shot at winning. If I've played headsup forever and finally have the win in sight and then the other person sucks out twice in a row to win, I lose it.

It's the complete lack of control. If I play bad, I can fix it. If my aces get cracked on the bubble by some donkey hand there's nothing I can do. I'm totally helpless. Plus, I've spent an hour in the game just for it to end like that.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw i dont believe in bad beats since i believe there is no luck in poker-100% skill 0% luck

[/ QUOTE ]
This is only true if you play enough to reach the statistical long run, otherwise luck clearly plays a role.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
btw i dont believe in bad beats since i believe there is no luck in poker-100% skill 0% luck

[/ QUOTE ]
This is only true if you play enough to reach the statistical long run, otherwise luck clearly plays a role.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. making sure you are properly bankrolled for a game also removes the luck element.