Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 03:27 PM

Default Taking my game up a level? (long, advice sought)

I'm a winning low limit player across all manner of games and limits over >150,000 hands. I'm good, but not great, and I'd like to take my game to another level.

I prefer to multi-table because I find it difficult to concentrate on a single table at a time without having my mind wander all over the place.

I've read most of the reputable books on the market, have been a regular on a variety of 2+2 forums from time to time and have (I think) a solid grasp of tight, agressive, positional play.

My ROI at the 11s and 22s is a mediocre 15% with an ITM of 40% (600 or so tournies. I understand sample size, but this fits in with my numbers across all limits/games).

I honestly don't believe that my last 10,000 hands of poker were much improved over my first 10,000 hands.

After playing a ton of LHE full & 6max, NLHE full & 6max, MTTs and SNGs, I've decided that I'm most comfortable in the SNGs.

I feel like my game has big holes in it. With SNGs, I feel like I'm always behind the 8 ball, always at or below par in the middle levels and having to push marginal hands to keep afloat. When I find myself picking up a nice stack heading into the bubble, I don't feel like I'm adapting my play properly. My ratio of 1st, 2nd and 3rds is 7:9:10 which tells me that I might be playing too conservatively at some point prior to or on the bubble. Logically speaking, its worth giving up two 3rd place finishes for a single 1st, so perhaps I need to be more aggressively seeking action on the bubble. But, maybe my problem is that I'm coming into the bubble too short stacked, which would mean I'm too tight and/or passive at the lower levels.

Or maybe, my problems aren't what I think they are.

So, naturally, I'm looking at some of the options available for plugging my leaks and improving my ROI. I've read all the books, played a gazillion hands and regularly follow 2p2.

I don't know that much about SNG coaches - do they tend to look at enough games to formulate strategic game improvements? Could a coach be able to give me guidelines to improve my overall play or is the focus on better play for a specific hand/situation?

Have people that have used coaches found it to be a good experience? In hindsight, would you have used the coach again?

(If you have thoughts but aren't comfortable putting them on an open thread, feel free to PM.)

If you are a coach and you've heard my story a thousand times before, have you had success in helping mediocre low limit players turn into better than average mid-low players? (say 10-15% ROI on the 33s or 55s).
Old 08-07-2006, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Taking my game up a level? (long, advice sought)

to be honest, reading this forum day in and day out for the last half a year+ and constantly replying, getting berated for a reply, and fixing my mistakes has helped me more than anything i could imagine. coaches are useful by all means, but not necessary, IMO. id focus on reading as many posts on this forum as you can and reading replies to them. often there are 2+ different opinions on a given hand (though some are basic, generic and standard), and i bet youll learn a lot by doing this alone.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Taking my game to the limit?

Repeat to self:
Walking on the razor's edge,
don't stop now, you'll lose your edge,
you got to win iiii-i-i-i-it!
So take it to the limit.

Alternate with:
You're the best, arou-ound!
Nothin's ever gonna bring you down!
You're the best, arou-ound!
Nothin's gonna ever bring you down!

If that doesn't work you must be doing something wrong, most likely not shouting these lyrics loud enough.