Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 05:19 AM

Default Re: LASIK Vision Correction

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone recommend any ophthalmologists in LA?

I just moved out here and need to get my eyes lasered, but without a social base out here I dont really have any trusted word of mouth recs~

[/ QUOTE ]

For a doctor in L.A., I recommend Dr. Robert Maloney. His office is in Wilshire Blvd. near Westwood, 310-208-3937.
www.MaloneyVision.com

I had lens implant surgery (not LASIK) because of high myopia. I had it done in one eye in July of this year, so far no complication. I am planning to get my other eye done in Nov.

In his office, there are signed photos of celebrities such as Denise Richards, Nicole Kidman, Angelina Jolie that he performed on. There is a thank you letter by a Secretary of Defense.

Initial consultation is free. At least $2,800 per eye for LASIK which include routine post operative exam and enchancement procedure up to one year.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:25 AM

I went to Dr. Peter Cornell in Beverly Hills. It was $4,800 total. One thing I would consider is that you want to be relatively close to the doctor. I ended up going there like 4 times in 5 days and once a week after for about 6 weeks.

The thing I liked about him is that he went in detail over the risks and said if I didn't meet certain requirements (like cornea thickness) he wouldn't do the surgery. Not worth his reputation.

Good luck.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:46 PM

Had my LASIK in 2003, went from 20/400 to 20/15 and even better I think. My only complaint is I still have dry eyes but it's nothing a squirt of Lube eye drops doesn't fix.

Paid $2700 for both eyes. But don't shop for price shop for a good Doctor.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:34 PM

thanks guys ^^
Old 10-29-2007, 10:51 PM

How do you judge competence, though? Go with the smooth talker? The one with the plush office and presume that it means he's higher end, as we all do with most other types of services? No, I'm not being cynical. Really, how does a layperson judge competence? Are there any doctors out there who are like, well, I only started doing this 3 months ago and you're my tenth patient, but hey, we all have to start somewhere, right? I imagine EVERY doctor out there gives you the same song and dance to make you confident in their abilities. Some have indicated that they entirely price insensitive, but it seems like a foolish proposition to go seek out the highest priced doctor for its own sake.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any doctors out there who are like, well, I only started doing this 3 months ago and you're my tenth patient, but hey, we all have to start somewhere, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

I agree, though.

I'm thinking about getting LASIK. In So Cal. 5K is a little too steep for me right now, though. 3K is fine. Wtf is the average price? If I have to pay like 5K to make sure my eyes are safe, that's fine, but that just means I can't get it right now.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:21 PM

I hade mine done back in 2000. Don;t remember what my vision was before but I am now at 20/15. No problems since. I think back then it was $3k.

The laser was on one eye for 8 seconds and 6 for the other. I didn't need much work.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:43 PM

You can try doing it at home. I think it is around $100.

http://lasikathome.com/
Old 11-02-2007, 04:52 PM

I'm planning to get this done either next year, or the year after. I'll do it next year if I get enrolled in my work's health savings account plan in time, otherwise I'll need to wait another year. You can pay for this with pre-tax dollars if you enroll in a HSA, most companies offer these to their employees and I think you can set one up on your own as well (but don't have any details on that).

The top doctors in my area charge around $2k per eye. I plan to go with them as I'm definitely willing to pay a premium for quality when it comes to my vision.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can try doing it at home. I think it is around $100.

http://lasikathome.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow: never get LASIK from a doctor who wears glasses.