Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 01:13 PM

Default 99 heads up in the big blind

Table has been 2-3 handed for a while now. Villain and I have played about a dozen hands heads up. Only one pot larger than 2BB and I won that without showdown. I haven't yet called a PFR from him, so I do not know his post flop play yet. All I've seen is him folding to my PFR and cbets.

Too few hands to know for sure, but he doesn't appear to have adjusted to the smaller than normal table.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($8.39)
Hero ($28)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
BB calls $0.15, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $0.75</font>, BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($2) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $1.61</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, BB calls $2.39.

Given his prior play, the flop was good to him in at least some way. Seems to me that there are more hands that I'm ahead of than I'm behind, so I raise. I contemplate putting him all-in but am worried that the only thing that calls that bet beats me.

Turn: ($10) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $1.55</font>. Hero ???

Smaller than flop sized donk bet. As I contemplate releasing my hand, I barely recall a thread on SSNL where conventional wisdom is that small donk bets like this usually indicate weakness. I decide to put villain all-in. Right play or spewing?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:26 PM

Default Re: 99 heads up in the big blind

I think I like just calling here
Old 08-01-2006, 01:29 PM

Putting him all in is silly since he's never going to call except with a better hand. In spots like this I like a minraise, then check behind on the river.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:32 PM

Given the stacks and the situation, the flop raise makes zero sense unless you were planning to value-push the turn. And that doesn't make much sense either.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the stacks and the situation, the flop raise makes zero sense unless you were planning to value-push the turn. And that doesn't make much sense either.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fair observation. Call flop, minraise turn is probably a better line.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

conventional wisdom is that small donk bets like this usually indicate weakness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Small donk bets like this mean:

Weakness (flush draws in particular)
Monster (look at me, I'm slowplaying!)

Weakness is far, far more common. However, players tend to stick to one or the other. ie: If you see someone betting like this with a weak hand, this bet from them means "weak hand" virtually always. If you see someone bet like this with a monster, this bet from them means "monster" virtually always.

Unfortunately, you can't be completely sure until you see a hand (or they fold to a reraise) but going at this blind I'd say it's 80/20 weak vs monster.