Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Call down with a set? Villian seems to have hit flush...

Full Tilt 0.25/0.5 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: HERO is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

BB seems to have woken up with the 7d. I will still call, given the pot odds that I might improve to a fullhouse.

River: (7.20 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero ???

My hand did not improve... but I still might have a chance to win. Should I call to go to showdown? BB's hand range is big, considering he called my SB raise.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Call down with a set? Villian seems to have hit flush...

Im not sure what you are beating :P T2, T3 and some outrageous bluff. I would be 99% sure you are beat. You are getting 14:1 so could make a crying call. Both folding and calling is ok i think.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:54 PM

[nit]You have trips. A set is when you have a pp and the third is on the board.[/nit]
Old 09-30-2007, 01:09 PM

Technically you have trips, not a set.

A turn raise here doesn't mean Villain made a flush anywhere near as often as you seem to think. Hell, I still think you are ahead a lot of the time if Villain is not completely passive.

He could have a 5, 7, small pair or even Ace high. There's no reason for him to think you connected with that fairly ragged flop and he could well be playing back at you with a worse hand.

HU blind battles can be tough, and I have big problems with these situation myself, but there's no way I'm folding this hand on the turn. I probably 3bet that turn and play from there.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[nit]You have trips. A set is when you have a pp and the third is on the board.[/nit]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wut? rly?
Old 09-30-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be 99% sure you are beat.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is way off.

[ QUOTE ]
You are getting 14:1

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see 14:1 anywhere in this hand. Can you help me out if I missed it?
Old 09-30-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would be 99% sure you are beat.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is way off.

[ QUOTE ]
You are getting 14:1

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see 14:1 anywhere in this hand. Can you help me out if I missed it?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. gut feeling.

2. Sorry, 7:1 : ]
Old 09-30-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wut? rly?

[/ QUOTE ]
The semantics of it doesn't really matter. The difference is the strength of the hand. SSHE says that trips (one in your hand, two on the board) are weaker than a set (two in your hand, one on the board) because someone could have the same trips as you, but with a better kicker; furthermore, the paired board will spook all opponents into caution while a set is more deceptive, therefore you will collect tons of extra bets.

I'd also add that the paired board means anyone who has hit a "set" with the odd card actually has a full house, and you're drawing very thin.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:11 PM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

[ QUOTE ]
1. gut feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to play with my gut until I figured out that my gut is full of [censored].

Trips can be dangerous because villain might have paired a side card to his trips, giving him a monster, or a set to his pocket pair plus the board pair. Play trips cautiously, but don't just fold to aggression.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:20 PM

Feel free to berate if you think I am wrong here - with a blind on blind situation not only can he have almost anything, but also he thinks you can have almost anything. So it all gets a bit trickier.

The raise from the villain on the turn could be a flush, it could also be another T (which probably has you outkicked), or a flush draw with a lone broadway diamond, or 7x, ... etc. I would be tempted to reraise the turn and call down if capped (is this spewy?). It's hard to judge without a read or stats.

As played call the river. Make notes on what he defended his blind with and what caused him to wake up on the turn.