Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Tournament question/issue

Played a tournament on monday, a modified chapman. My partner and I played horribly. Well, not horribly, but it's a REALLY tight course, and we had way too hard a time getting two decent balls into play off the tee, and way too many penalty strokes. Birdies were EXTREMELY few, and way too many over-par scores. My question is regarding the pro (of that course) playing in the tournament. It was stressed that he would NOT be paying for prizes, however, his partner was. The tournament payed gross and net, which kind of evened things out, but the team with the pro on it might as well have been guaranteed first in gross. They shot a 62, and I think the second place team shot 70. Thoughts?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Tournament question/issue

did the pro pay the entry fee? if so, it's acceptable i think.

we do this with our weekly sunday scramble in the summers. we get a staff team together, for example, 2 cart guys, me, and the assistant.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:21 PM

With changing career paths in the PGA (retail shops, course design, Resort GM) there are more and more PGA professionals that are actually joining clubs. As a member (or season pass holder) I believe they are entitled to play in club events providing they hold a USGA handicap and post their scores. If it is a gross event, so be it. At our club myself and my assistants are encouraged to play in club events save the Club Championship. What better "buzz" for an amateur to beat the pro?

We pay entry fees and collect our prizes in merchandise credit like everyone else. We do not do it to win prizes, but to build relationships with club players away from the clubhouse. I believe they did it wrong if the pro wasn't playing for prizes but the amateur was, how do they adjust the payout? Does the am get paid double?
Old 05-30-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With changing career paths in the PGA (retail shops, course design, Resort GM) there are more and more PGA professionals that are actually joining clubs. As a member (or season pass holder) I believe they are entitled to play in club events providing they hold a USGA handicap and post their scores. If it is a gross event, so be it. At our club myself and my assistants are encouraged to play in club events save the Club Championship. What better "buzz" for an amateur to beat the pro?

We pay entry fees and collect our prizes in merchandise credit like everyone else. We do not do it to win prizes, but to build relationships with club players away from the clubhouse. I believe they did it wrong if the pro wasn't playing for prizes but the amateur was, how do they adjust the payout? Does the am get paid double?

[/ QUOTE ]

Prizes were established regardless of number of participants. I have no idea if the pro paid. The amateur playing partner simply received half of the prize (I think the top prize was four free rounds for you and a partner, not too bad, actually).
Old 05-30-2007, 03:00 PM

this looks a bit sucky IMO..
nothing you can do but pro's shudnt be playing