Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 02:49 AM

Default 4/180 stealing blinds against aggressive BB

Haven't got the HH available, but here's the thing:

BB has been playing very aggressive, very often floating Postflop, donkbetting, or raising PF. I have seen him re-raising PF, defending his BB, against a signle raiser in LP.

Blinds: 600/1200 some antes

Relevant stack sizes:
Hero: 18'000
SB: 19'000
BB: 50'000
(note: Not 3 handed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

Folds to hero who is on button
holding 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero raises to 3'600.

Now here's the thing: I was planning to raise/shove to BB, as I finally picked a hand where I'm likely to have an edge over him.

SB calls 3'000.
BB raises to 15'000.

So BB indeed raises my steal attempt. As I planned, I shoved and got the money in against him. The only problem I did NOT think of: SB calling my raise. I don't think BB has been raising a lot PF against a raiser and a caller, I don't remember him doing it. Does this change my calling/shoving range here a lot? Usually he was raising the PF raiser to around 9k, if he made a standard raise like that. With a caller like that, he obviously needs to raise more. But do you think this tightens his raising range as well?

What are your thoughts about this?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:27 AM

Default Re: 4/180 stealing blinds against aggressive BB

May I just give this a slight bump? I thought this hand is slightly less standard than other hands, so I'd have loved to hear some comments on the ranges which might be changing here a LOT because of the SB caller...

As I said, I'm not sure of that, but I'd be glad to hear some experiences / tendencies...
Old 05-22-2007, 08:28 AM

you are pretty short 77 is 2 strong to fold so yeah shove it in.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:09 AM

I think the SB has seen the same thing as you have, so I think you're behind his range. With the BB taken into account, I think you have a +EV call here, albeit not by much. I don't have pokerstove available here to try some ranges however.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:15 AM

So you guys think SB calling does not tighten BBs raising range in general? Does BBs aggressive nature tighten SBs calling range here? I think those 2 points are interesting to look at, but I'm not sure what to take of it...
Old 05-22-2007, 09:37 AM

Do not intercharge me with 'you guys'. I'm a crappy poker player with a negative ROI, not the be confused with other 2p2'ers.

The BB's might be tighter that usual. It depends if he's a smart / thinking player or a blind maniac. If the former, he'll have adjusted, if the latter, his range will be as wide as always. Are you able to putin one of those categories?

The SB, on the other hand, will have a fairly strong hand here. He knows there is a good chance the BB will come over the top and still deciedes to play.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you guys think SB calling does not tighten BBs raising range in general? Does BBs aggressive nature tighten SBs calling range here? I think those 2 points are interesting to look at, but I'm not sure what to take of it...

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this gives sb way to much credit and he will probably fold some hands that actually have u beat thinking tens just suck with all this action, im so unlucky etcetc..

further, very aggro BB might just as well see this squeeze as irresistable as well as tighten range. so if villain is capable of doing big plays pf i dont think the caller necessarily scares him very much. i would stick it in there usually and be happy about the extra money sb donated.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think this gives sb way to much credit and he will probably fold some hands that actually have u beat thinking tens just suck with all this action, im so unlucky etcetc..

[/ QUOTE ]
So we just assume the SB is an idiot, as opposed to someone looking to trap the BB?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:45 AM

yes
Old 05-22-2007, 09:48 AM

OK, good to know I'm giving my opponents too much credit at these levels. For lemming: Ignore all I have said and just shove. Apparently the 4/180's are too low a level to make these considerations.