Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2006, 12:37 PM

Default Wat do do with A10s here?

Hi,

I played in a PokerStars 20% pay out tournament last night. Started with around 1600 and paid out at around 300. The difference between 300th place and 30th place was not very much.

We are down to 37 and I have an average stack of T64,000. I am in about 16th place at this point. I haven't been played a hand in two orbitz when I pick up A10s in the BB. A new player who has been at the table for maybe one orbit opens in MP for T12,000. The blinds are 2000-4000. He has over T100,000 and is in the top 5.

I really wasn't sure what to do here. I went through different plays, but could not determine what was optimal. I wasn't sure if I had the best hand here, but calling out of position didn't look like a good idea. Is re-raising all in a good play here, or is re-raising to say 36k and moving in on the flop a better play? Does anyone advocate folding? Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Wat do do with A10s here?

If you don't like playing the hand or you're not sure what your gameplan is, just fold it. You still have a few hands to see. It's a trouble hand and you're out of position.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:01 PM

Simple answer - fold

Complex answer - fold 60%, All in 40% of the time, being read dependant (as he is new to the table and you have no read, this is taken out of the equation)

I hate the reraise idea, as you will be pot committed anyway, so you may as well push (if this is your preference)

By folding you will still have over 10 BB. You don't need to get involved in this hand, IMO.

Jon
Old 01-18-2006, 01:06 PM

Without a read on this player folding would not be a bad play. You have plenty of chips and there is no need risking it with AT OOP. You may make a call and see what he does on the flop, but most of the time you will just be throwing money away calling here. The only time I would make a play is if you know the player to be very aggressive, but able to fold to pressure. I would then come back over the top of him preflop.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:40 PM

I would fold 70%-80% of the time in this position, and the rest of the time, call then push on the flop. I'm not sure ATs is the hand I want to put my tournament life on so I would be more likely to wait and be the first one in the pot.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:43 PM

This is too speculative a holding. Dump the hand and make a play when you get a pair or AK, AQ later and he pulls the same raise. You are NOT in panic mode yet.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

I played in a PokerStars 20% pay out tournament last night. Started with around 1600 and paid out at around 300. The difference between 300th place and 30th place was not very much.

We are down to 37 and I have an average stack of T64,000. I am in about 16th place at this point. I haven't been played a hand in two orbitz when I pick up A10s in the BB. A new player who has been at the table for maybe one orbit opens in MP for T12,000. The blinds are 2000-4000. He has over T100,000 and is in the top 5.

I really wasn't sure what to do here. I went through different plays, but could not determine what was optimal. I wasn't sure if I had the best hand here, but calling out of position didn't look like a good idea. Is re-raising all in a good play here, or is re-raising to say 36k and moving in on the flop a better play? Does anyone advocate folding? Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just fold.

Don't get involved w/ someone who could bust you with an inferior (though albeit barely) holding. Calling committs 20% of your stack, that's a lot. If you absolutly had to play this, I'd be pushing b/c you're OOP w/ a hand you're probbaly hoping for a flip w/,

I'm pushing TT-AA and AQ/AK here.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

[/ QUOTE ]

this is definitely either push or fold.

The reason i say this is that we have an M of 8 and if we call and chuck it after the flop then we have an M of 6.5 (still playable, but not as manageable).

I would fold this simply because I like ATs a lot better when i am the open raiser. Here i don't want to push because ATs is not that good. Now if i have a read that he's stealing (but alas, he's only there for one orbit), i would push. This is fold and look for better opportunities.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:27 PM

I am the only one who says push. This a great resteal/semibluff opportunity.

Unless he has aces, at worst you are a 7-3 dog with pot odds. You are not necessarily dominated if called. He could easily call with KQ, 99, A9, or something. You should have excellent FE. A big stack could easily be making loose raises in the minibubble.

You pick up 21K if he folds. You lose an average of about 18K if he calls and you are dominated. If he calls and you win, you will have 140K and probably be in third place or something.

Plus I don't like people raising my BB. If I bust out defending with ATs so be it.

You have a perfect stack size for a resteal and villain is a big stack raising on the minibubble. This is a good restealing situation.

Incidently, ATs is strong but could be dominated. I am probably pushing here with any restealing hand, any pp, suited connector/gapper, two broadway cards, etc.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is too speculative a holding. Dump the hand and make a play when you get a pair or AK, AQ later and he pulls the same raise. You are NOT in panic mode yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know for sure of how I would play it. But if this is your range to call, players will be killing each other for the right to raise your blind.