Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Six Years in Las Vegas

damn man that sucks.

But do you occasionally play in a tourney or two a week or you stay away from them ?
Old 08-04-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"Hub of the Universe" was a phrase coined by Oliver Wendell Holmes--former Associate Justice of the Supreme Court.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. Holmes also coined the phrase, "clear and present danger".

/SCOTUS nit alert-hijack

p.s. Props to Dynasty for both hanging in there, and for finally trying a donkament or two.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:28 PM

OP, were you playing 20/40 Thurs and Fri day/night? I was "the kid" and I think everyone thought I sucked.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Having journalism background and having lived in Dallas, Chicago and Boston, the public library here is quite all right. You probably aren't going to the right one(s)? There are many branches.

There's plenty to do here. I've seen Clapton and Seegar for less than $80 ea, this year. Buffett later, for same. (Really looking forward to that!)

What do you mean "recreation" is lacking? What else would you want to do? Hell, you can even go ice skating here.

Outside of NY, what place has "theater"? Or are you thinking something like in The Big Lebowski?

MicMan, I just think you're way off on your view of Vegas. A city of 2 million people has everything any place else does, of comparable size, and this is still a very young city. Comparing it to cities who've been around for a couple of centuries is ridiculous.

I suggest you explore more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bro, if you have lived in Boston then you would know that vegas is seriously lacking in cultural, recreation, public services and a general vibe. it could never touch Boston in any facet except for gambling. vegas is fun for all us sick gamblers but god is it just fundamentally such a terrible city. first off, it is in the middle of the damn desert, the public parks are scarce and crappy. the scenery is really ugly within 15-20 miles of the city (ugly trees, very little grass, more gray than green). there are no cool neighborhoods like Boston has in jamaica plain, roxbury, mission hill, brighton or brookline. the city has no feel to it besides gambling (because it has like a 40 year history, and its pretty much the history of gambling). yes, there is no theatre, there is no great arts scene, no intellectuals scene. the schools on all levels there are crappy. outside of the strip, vegas is so empty, inside the strip it is often the same too once you get past the thrill of bright lights and gambling. vegas is definitely a spectacle, and i am always excited when i arrive, but im always ready when i leave. it is pretty much a wasteland, and while there seems to be so much always going on, it's not going anywhere. vegas is on the fore-front of going nowhere as fast as possible. essentially it is a city where people go to watch money trade hands. what great companies are in vegas? i really hope you get out and see more of the world, go overseas. go to those new york, chicago, boston, seattle. you will quickly see a difference between those cities and your beloved vegas

[/ QUOTE ]

How old are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]

because age obviously plays a big part in what you look for in a city to live in. I'm assume that most younger people would be more enticed by great nightlife and parties, while things like parks, good education, etc. wouldn't appeal to them at all. I think its necessary to say your age when having such discussions.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I do have a type of leak. I have never, from the day I arrived in Las Vegas, played what could be called a full time schedule. I've never put 160 hours at the tables in a single month. Usually, I put in less than 100.

This is by choice. One of the most appealing aspects of playing for a living is the freedom and flexibility it offers. I play when and how often I want. So, in 2004, when I felt burned out, I hardly played at all for nearly four months. That obviously damanged the bankroll. Likewise, there are several months where I've put in under 50 hours.

I went too far with it in 2004 and outside issues that added to the problem. Those were the root causes of my bankroll problems.

The problem has never been my ability to beat the games I'm playing.

Otherwise, I don't think I have anything which should be called a leak. Thought, like everyone, I have plenty of room for improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty, please don't take offense to my following comments. I think that you've been amazingly honest in this thread, and my advise/criticism here is just my honest opinion....

At first, I felt bad for you with the death of your father and your bankroll problems. But after reading this post, its much tougher for me to feel that way. You're putting in minimal hours and taking the easy way through your career/life.

Lets compare this to a "real job." Imagine some businessman came here saying how he wasn't doing too well and people started feeling sympathetic towards him. Then he reveals that he never works that much or puts in a lot of hours. How would everyone feel about that?

I've played professionally for about 3-4 years now(depending upon if you count my senior year of college or not). And I can honestly say that I work my ass off. Don't get me wrong- I love playing poker, so I'm not complaining here. But I'm sure I've put in 100 hour WEEKS before, and I probably average about 50 hours/week.

I realize that part of the reason people choose poker is that they want an "easy life." And please understand that I'm not saying all of this to be condescending. I'm moreso trying to challenge and inspire you. I'm sure that you want to be very successful, and I'm sure that you realize that behind every success story is a ton of hard work. Get out there and put in some hard work then.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dynasty, please don't take offense to my following comments. I think that you've been amazingly honest in this thread, and my advise/criticism here is just my honest opinion....

At first, I felt bad for you with the death of your father and your bankroll problems. But after reading this post, its much tougher for me to feel that way. You're putting in minimal hours and taking the easy way through your career/life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty has made it pretty clear that he isn't complaining or asking for sympathy. He's just telling his story. I think a lot of people. myself included, have found it very interesting.

Dynasty has said straight out that he doesn't want to play more. He likes the flexibility of poker. That's the point. I'm sure he knows he'd be making more and be more secure if he worked harder but he's decided that it isn't worth it to him.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what if he's "taking the easy way"? Why is it somehow unethical or offensive not to work a ton of hours? He doesn't seem to have a sense of entitlement about money and is conscious of the impact of his decision not to play that much.

I find it distasteful that his chosen work schedule impacts your view of his father's death.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:01 PM

People are delusional about what it is to be a professional poker player. The OP is actually making it. The options aren't just SBRugby or bust. How many big name pros do you think are worth more than $0. Some just have good borrowing power or can freeroll people occasionally to get buy.

I think your post is reality man and I appreciate your honesty and candor.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:47 PM

His version of events are more typical than the online poker god. The game is very very tough to beat after living expenses, especially after a few years of doing it. To be honest if your stuck at 1/2 NL or even 2/5 NL you better off getting a job that plays in a similar range as most won't mentally tax you the way poker will.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:49 PM

Dynasty should have never given up online poker. If he wanted to put in short hours he could always up the table hours.