Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Perfect play (I think) leads to exit from 100k live tourney

Mid-point in guaranteed $100k live tourney. (I apologize if I am abbreviating wrong -- new to this forum).

Could I have played this any differently?

Blinds 200-400

Since this tourney was not online, I will list only the relevant players:

Villain MP2 (extremely tight) (~$8500)
Button (new to table) (~$5000)
Hero BB ($7200)

Preflop: Hero is BB w/ J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
3 folds , Villain raises minimum to 800 (I immediately put him on a very good chance for AA or KK given his tendencies), 2 folds , Button calls, Hero calls t 400.

Flop (t3200) J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero checks, <font color="red"> </font> Villain bets t800, <font color="black"> </font> Button calls t 800, <font color="red"> </font> Hero calls t 800

<font color="black"> </font> Turn: (t5600)7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks , <font color="red"> </font> Villain bets t 1600, <font color="black"> </font> Button calls, <font color="red"> </font> Hero raises t6000 all in, <font color="black"> </font> Villain calls, Button folds

River: (t17800) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Villain wins.

I think that I played this hand right at every level, but the turn is where I have most questions -- I clearly had huge odds to call pre-flop and on the flop.

On the turn, I was pretty sure I was against AA and had him 80/20. I also knew he was a very tight inexperienced player from watching him, and thought he might never give up his AA (I was right on both counts). I was somewhat worried about the button since he may have flopped a set, but was more likely on a draw (clubs or KQ). So I checked, knowing that Villain would bet, and if the Button did not make a move it was very unlikely he had a set with so many draws, and the pot size. So I check-raise to eliminate the Button, and got the caller I wanted.

But there is an argument that since I know AA will call likely pay me off on the river, I should just smooth call, and can still get out without being too crippled when disaster hits. But I think the better move was to push because the Button was the wild card, and if str8 or flush card hit on the river, I would be in a bind.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Perfect play (I think) leads to exit from 100k live tourney

You got all the chips in when you were significantly ahead, but lost. If you had won this hand, would you have posted this thread? I think you're looking at it retrospectively. You took a bad beat. I wouldn't fault your play.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:59 PM

But given my read that the villain would call my all-in on the river, what is the proper way to balance this with the threat from the button's possible draw?
Old 06-27-2007, 06:03 PM

Well played, bad luck...

You don't wanna be against villains 8 outs and buttons possible 8 outs as well, so the check raise goes very fine for me...

I don't think you would want to keep him in the hand with those vulnerable 2 pair, I don't see any point for flat calling when you are in front, with 2 "drawers" against your hand!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see any point for flat calling when you are in front, with 2 "drawers" against your hand!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. You did what you were supposed to in a tough balancing act.