Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Re: why do you like the music you like?

I think you knew exactly what you wanted to say when you made the crayons comment. You wanted to imply that those of us who enjoy Rap are childish, or intellectually inferior, because of our affinity for "low music," as you call it. That little barb could have easily been omitted and this exchange never would have happened. You're too smart to be playing dumb. I wouldn't insult you for merely expressing your opinion.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:39 AM

Pharcyde,

I think you're reading too much into my post. When I said, "Not to break any crayons" what I meant was "Not to piss anyone off." Apologies for annoying you.

I guess I don't know enough about the genre, but I'm also not sure I want to know more. My one rap cd, Ice Cube's The Predator, has exactly two cuts that I can enjoy (Can't Trust Em and Now I Gotta Wet Ya). The hip hop my friends listen to all seems to be variations on the themes in these two cuts.

I also said that the only difference between "high" and "low" music is how it is approached. I'm listening to a damn 311 tune as I type this. Intellectually stimulating? No. Fun? Yes.

To put it another way, I can't listen to a symphony or to a complex jazz record while I'm doing something else. It's too distracting. The music grabs my attention. Just the same, I find a good ST or Slackers or Aggrolites record to be the perfect compliment for writing, playing cards, driving, etc. because it helps me tune out other distractions without interfering with my thought process.

I's not just hip hop that the lables are producing assembly-line style, and it's certainly not a recent phenomenon for the labels to be manufacturing songs and talent. I remember well the hair bands of the 80s, and the Stonetemplesmashingpearlvanaofthedoginchains me too bands of the 90's. I'd love to have the money back that I spent on that stuff. I didn't realize that I was being marketed to and that the bands really weren't that good or original. I was too caught up in the trend. Yes, I feel stupid for blowing money on an inferior form.

I see your point that just like with any commercially successful genre there are degrees of goodness in hip hop. I probably haven't heard the best of the bands.

I have similar dislike for country music, but I won't get into that because I've already offended enough here.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:34 AM

Kilgore,

Thanks for clearing up what you meant. I apologize for having read too much into it and insulting you as a result.

[ QUOTE ]
To put it another way, I can't listen to a symphony or to a complex jazz record while I'm doing something else. It's too distracting. The music grabs my attention. Just the same, I find a good ST or Slackers or Aggrolites record to be the perfect compliment for writing, playing cards, driving, etc. because it helps me tune out other distractions without interfering with my thought process.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the exact opposite for me when it comes to writing papers/studying. Any music with words forces me to actively listen to it, but I've found that classical, jazz, and some electronic (don't really know how to distinguish between House and Techno) are perfect for those activities. Just thought that was interesting.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:45 AM

Sound, songwriting, execution, lyrics. In that order.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:30 PM

KT,

For the most part, you and I are on the same wavelength. However, I have to agree with your critics somewhat that you're a little dismissive of what you call the "low art" music. I think there's definitely a place for it, and that people shouldn't necessarily feel guilty for rocking out in the privacy of their rooms to Whitesnake's Here I Go Again. I view your low art music like a hamburger. Nope, it's not a steak. It's not sushi, nor is it a 5 course meal at a fine French restaurant. It's just a burger. But you know what? Sometimes "just a burger" is exactly what I'm hungry for. Maybe I'm on the road and need to get somewhere. Maybe I'm out at a bar having a godo time with my buddies rather than putting on my best and going to the opera. There are plenty of places when a burger is more appropriate than something fancy. I'll grant you that Americans eat too many burgers, both in reality and in my analogy, and that there is too much influence from the media pushing burgers instead of pushing things that are a little more nutritious. But even in the world of "just burgers," some burgers are clearly better than others, and there's nothing wrong with appreciating In-n-Out over McDonalds.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:33 PM

Dom,

If you're going to bring up Tom Petty in a discussion of good lyrics, and then not mention Mary Jane's Last Dance, I won't let that stand.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dom,

If you're going to bring up Tom Petty in a discussion of good lyrics, and then not mention Mary Jane's Last Dance, I won't let that stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Petty had hundreds of great songs...he's probably one of America's best songwriters, ever...and yet you never hear much critical praise for him...of Petty's later songs, I'd have to go with The Last DJ, though.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:31 PM

Most of the songs that I love have little to no lyrics.