Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 02:54 PM

Default weight fluctuations

How much does your weight tend to fluctuate on a daily basis?

I ask because since I've tried to lose weight in earnest, I've started weighing myself more frequently, and I notice fluctuations of a couple of pounds even on a daily basis, which makes it hard to assess my progress. If I actually only weighed myself once a week, I really don't think I'd get an accurate picture.

So if you're in a cutting phase, how often do you weigh yourself? And is there one particular time of day that is most appropriate? Or does it suffice just to be consistent?
Old 11-18-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: weight fluctuations

Weigh yourself once a day at the same time (usually mornings), put it into an excel spreadsheet, graph it after 6 weeks. You will see many fluctuations, but only one trend (if you're doing it right).
Old 11-18-2007, 03:14 PM

mine can fluctuate 10 lbs in a day. It's frustrating. I need to stop weighing myself period

I wish I could just be happy how I look, and gauge how hard I'm working based on that rather then a number on a scale.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:28 PM

It's tough to look in the mirror and notice changes in yourself, though. Scale weight doesn't necessarily mean much, either.

The best way to do it is to take digital pictures of yourself every week on Sunday morning (or whatever your rest day is), and compare them over a long period of time.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:33 PM

If you weigh yourself everyday for a week, would it be most accurate to say that your "true weight" is whatever the highest amount was for the week?
Old 11-18-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you weigh yourself everyday for a week, would it be most accurate to say that your "true weight" is whatever the highest amount was for the week?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. it would be just as silly to measure your weight when you just ate 4 pounds of enchiladas as it would be to weigh yourself when you haven't eaten in 12 hours and just ran 6 miles.

It is somewhere in between.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:31 PM

weighing yourself every day is the worst thing you can do. Pick one day of the week and weigh yourself when you first wake up that morning. If really hate that then do it two times a week. IMO, weighing yourself just makes you frustrated becuase you are constantly seeing your weight fluctuate.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Weigh yourself once a day at the same time (usually mornings), put it into an excel spreadsheet, graph it after 6 weeks. You will see many fluctuations, but only one trend (if you're doing it right).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I did. Weigh yourself after you brush your teeth in the morning. And only in underwear.