Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 10:07 PM

Default 0.25/0.50 AK unimproved with position

Villain is 14.4/7.5/2.2 with a 50% WtSD over 200 hands, I consider him a muppet, yet he isn't as bad as some others.

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, 5 folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7.4SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5.7BB, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7.7BB, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Results:
Final pot: 9.7BB

I raise the flop on the off chance that he folds, and he might give me a free card on the turn. Standard? Call a 3-bet? Then what about the turn bet, I catch a lot more outs here, but apparently he doesn't want to fold, and I might well be behind here. A checkraise would be ugly. Checking behind is better, no?
Old 11-10-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: 0.25/0.50 AK unimproved with position

:g:
Nice catch fish. I think this hand is played fine ... but the flop raise is kind of tinnish.

BTW your read is retarded. Either you have some specifics such as he cold calls to much or folds to much but I can assure you he is not a muppet (ldo). Villan is probably a TAG multitabler and you are very likely behind on the flop.

[i][edit]Which in turn makes your turn bet questionable ... hmmm now Im confused.

[edit II] what he said \/

Old 11-10-2007, 10:14 PM

this guy is a rock. don't raise the flop against him. call and fold the turn unimproved. since you did raise the flop, take the free card. he isn't going to fold a better hand.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:14 PM

also check behind the river to induce MASSIVE monkey tilt
Old 11-10-2007, 10:20 PM

I would venture to say that you or I do not have much of an edge (considering the rake) against a 14.4/7.5/2.2 player. I think preflop is fine with position. I think flop play is the most interseting, I would prob call and fold turn unimproved against this type. As played I think I would check the turn behind, but you have so many outs that betting and folding another AK or 99/AQ can't be that bad.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:22 PM

Thanks Miles, I will use the tilt-inducing river check with the nuts in the future. *lol*

Yeah, after looking at it, betting the turn is stupid. On a sidenote, I have no reads, I am playing 8 tables myself. My only note on him is "Calls down PF aggressor HU with middle pair", which might even be justified. But you seriously wouldn't raise the flop here? o.0
Old 11-10-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, after looking at it, betting the turn is stupid. On a sidenote, I have no reads, I am playing 8 tables myself. My only note on him is "Calls down PF aggressor HU with middle pair", which might even be justified. But you seriously wouldn't raise the flop here? o.0

[/ QUOTE ]

If I raise the flop in a heads up pot without a made hand, it's for one of the following reasons:

1) For value.
2) As a free card play.
3) To induce a better hand to fold.

Condition 1 certainly doesn't apply here--your draw doesn't give you 51+% equity HU, and this opponent doesn't seem capable of leading into you after the preflop 3bet with a hand worse than AK. Condition 3 absolutely doesn't apply, as his stats &amp; your own note indicate that he's never folding a better hand in a heads up pot. So the flop raise must be for the second reason, or in other words, check through the turn. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW your read is retarded. Either you have some specifics such as he cold calls to much or folds to much but I can assure you he is not a muppet (ldo). Villan is probably a TAG multitabler and you are very likely behind on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

TAG autopilot multitablers are muppets. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2007, 11:58 PM

Thanks for your input, everyone, very helpful. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

FWIW he showed A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Took a note and plan to check behind the turn in situations like that in the future. I probably would have got 2 bets on the river out of him with his second nuts anyway, so the turn bet is far from optimal.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:59 PM

O'RLY?, you see this guy grinding 14.5/4/2?

Imagine its Animal on the other side of that table next time you use a read on a TAG and let us know how it goes [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]